I, however definitely can vouch for that because I have been on the receiving end of her questioning more times than I can count and I can tell you she knew what she was doing when it came to interrogating. I was known for admitting to things I'd never done.

     One time my mom found a half eaten sandwich with cheese on it in the washer after doing a load of laundry and came to me directly. Let me point out right here that I am allergic to cheese. A-l-l-e-r-g-i-c and still I admitted to it right then and there. The mystery of who actually put it in has never been solved but I lean towards my little sister, Mary, for that one.

     So anyway that evening my dad was sitting at the table going over paperwork and I sat next to him holding onto my arm. “What happened?” he asked without looking up.

     “Fell from the tree.”

     At this my mom turns around with a spatula in her hand a look of complete fear on her face, “You did what?” She practically yelled.

     “I fell from the tree.”

     “I told him he shouldn't get up there.” Jennifer said while walking into the kitchen holding a book on her list must read list before ninth grade literary list.

     “Shut up, Jenny.” I rolled my eyes. For being three years younger than me I'm pretty sure she was older when it came to rules. Aside from the sandwich incident, she has been on a staight and narrow path since birth.

    “Don't talk to your sister like that.” Dad said looking over the top of his paper, “Think it's broken?” He nodded to my arm.

     “Not sure.”

     Mom still facing us let out a deep huff, “Not sure? Brandon, do you hear our son, he is 'not sure' if he broke his arm!”

    “Calm down, Mary.”

    “I don't know how I'm suppose to calm down, I'm telling you right now I am not bringing him to the hospital.”

    “I can drive myself.”

    “Not with a broken arm.” They both said at the exact same time.

    “Fine.” I grumbled.

    Dad stood, finally setting down his paper. “I'll take him.”

    Mom nodded, “Good, I'll finish dinner and hopefully it wont take too long.

    “Thanks, dad.” I said while standing up and kicking the chair under the table.

    Grabbing his keys we headed strait to the emergency room where I found out I had a pretty bad sprang that would have to stay in a sling for a week or so but no cast was needed. By the time we got home it was dark and dinner was long done.

    Mom had a rule at home, “If you aren't home when I put the food on the table then you can eat something cold.” It didn't matter if we were at the hospital or not, whatever dad and I ate was going to be cold and strait from the fridge. We didn't even have a microwave to reheat anything.

    Dad ate cold fried chicken and I went strait to bed. I laid in bed staring at my slanted ceiling thinking about Hannah next door and wondering what she was up to. I climbed from my bed and went to the small, circular window that overlooked the side of their house.

    On the bottom floor I could see directly into their dining room where the only light in the house was on. Sitting at the table with her knees pulled tightly to her chest was Hannah. Her hair looked unruly in a tangled mass and her face was streaked with tears.