Sold

The entire world around me stopped spinning and completely disappeared. Even without thinking about it, the tune that I had heard so often as a child poured freely from my mouth. My heart was pounding, my head was aching and i couldn't stop the tears that poured down my face. I was crying with everything i felt inside of me. I cried out the loneliness, the pain, the fear, the rejection. I cried for my mother, my father, my lost friend, and my forgotten hope.

I cried for every push and shove along this journey i called my life. I cried because i didn't know what waited for me beyond this place. I cried for every lost human soul, for every heartbroken, hopeless human being that died trying to survive this vampire hell. I cried because I had never known a life without vampires.

When i finished my song i crumpled to the floor, exhausted from all the tears. I pulled my knees to my chest and hung my head. I had stopped crying because i had nothing left inside me. I'm sure I sounded awful, not only because I wasn't sure singing was a talent I possessed, but because my crying more than likely made me inaudible. I felt empty, useless. Before anyone said anything i felt two strong arms lift me up. I opened my eyes and saw him, his eyes gleaming with something in them i had never known before. If it was sympathy, i didn't want it.

I tried pushing away from him but he just lifted me bridal style and whispered softly to me "shh darling, don't fight it. I'm here now." His lips turned up into a half-sad smile and he turned towards Mrs. Chagrin. "I'll be taking her home now. You can discuss the money with my personal assistant."
"But what about...." I trailed off, looking away from him. His intense gaze bore into the side of my face.
"Oh! The feeding? Well, we'll get to that later. As for now, I need to get you home and cleaned up. All that crying you did ruined your makeup." He chuckled. "You look like a clown."

I glanced at him sideways, "A clown? What's that?" I asked. He stared at me, waiting to see if I was joking I suppose, but I wasn't. I had never heard of anything new called a clown before. "You're joking....right? Oh no of course you're not. I forget that they teach you nothing in this place." He rolled his eyes and glanced over at Miss Chargin "Like I said, my personal assistant will contact you later."

With that, he carried me straight through the glass revolving doors and out into the bright sun, setting me back down to my feet. I didn't know what to expect, or what i had imagined it would be like. Somehow i imagined this place dirtier, grimy like the holding cells but it was anything but. There were tall buildings that cast shadows across the ground which was covered in asphalt and concrete.

There were cars parked up and down the block, all nice and expensive. There were ice cream parlors and barber shops, deli places and even a psychic store. There were tons of people, vampires i assumed, maybe some human, walking up and down the street coming every which way. I figured that they would look at me funny, judge me or realize what kind of girl I was. But no one noticed. No one even glanced our way.

The air smelt clean and fresh, the scent for the pastry shop made my stomach grumble. The wind blew through my hair softly lifting it up and i watched mesmerized. I had never experienced a feeling like this before. This was.......freedom.

I soon realized my mouth was hanging open and i was gaping when Emanuel walked by me popping it shut with his index finger and said "Close your mouth, you're letting flies out." As he walked away from me.

I thought about running, but he might catch me before i got very far, he did after all have vampire speed which was much much faster than I could ever dream of running. I hurried after him, grabbing onto the back of his shirt for guidance. I was too afraid of, well, everything to be too far from his side. He spun around and smacked my hand away before I even realized he had stopped walking. I flinched and stared up at him, wide eyed and afraid.