Auction House

Começar do início

There are some vampires out in the world who are lonely, or vampires who just simply feel bad for us. So they buy us and they give us warm homes, a loving happy and long life. But those people are becoming more few by the day. And I wonder how many there will be left when, or if, I am ever bought. The auction house isn't exactly warm and inviting.

The place is cobblestoned, everything dark and dank. Upstairs is a lounging and waiting room. There is a stage where the girls that are being sold perform their many talents, and the buyers go off of what they like.

Needless to say, I've never been up there, so I don't know what it looks like. But down in the holding cells..... oh I've memorized every stone all to well.

The holding cells are all on one long hallway, each side of the hall containing more than thirty cells and each cell containing at least four girls, you do the math. All of the walls are grey and molding.

It smells like death, and vomit. There is hardly any lighting, all of our light comes from one bulb in the center of the hallway dangling from a loose wire in the wall. The cells are all closed off, only the bars at the front of the cell leaving an opening for lighting. In every cell there is a bucket and a sink....I'm sure you can imagine what for.

There are no beds. There are no blankets or pillows. There is nothing but you, the bucket, the sink, and three other girls.

I learned not to make friends because I knew they would find homes before I ever did. But I didn't learn that right away. I tried to make friends, mostly unsuccessful . But I had just arrived and didn't know the ropes quite yet and to be honest, I was afraid to be alone.

I befriended a little girl named Lilith. She had this long silky blond hair that fell in wispy curls and these big brown doe eyes that made her always look scared. I loved her right away.

For an entire year she was the only person I would ever talk to, not that she had much competition. We would laugh and play and joke around, and count down the days until we could go home. And then one day they came and took her away.

At first I thought they would take both of us because we were so close. But when I tried to go with them, they shoved me away. And I never saw nor heard from her ever again.

The routine for choosing your girls is simple. They bring the buyer down to the holding cells and the buyer picks out whichever girls he thinks he would like best. Then they pretty those girls up, explain the rules to them and showcase them off. The buyer picks his girl and then ships her off to live with him or her. Simple enough right?

I look over to the wall where I've kept track of how long I've been here and how old I am. There's at least a thousand little white marks all the way across the wall. I allow my hand to trace it, running over them again and again. I've been here too long. Eventually, just like the other girls, they are going to need to get rid of me. They'll need more room. More and more breeding children are becoming successful and living.

I hear the giant iron doors open outside of my cell. Someone is coming to buy. I hear Miss Chargin talking to the buyer. Miss Chargin is the cell keeper. She looks after us, feeds us, gives us hell. She's practically the devil incarnate. The only nice person I've met to watch over us is Harry, the night guard. Sometimes he sneaks me a treat. He's human of course, no vampire would lower themselves to such a job.

"They don't look that great right now, but we pretty them up. What is your age preference?" she asks in her sickly sweet voice, the voice she puts on for show. She only does her fake voice when its a man, an attractive one at that. I hear his gruff voice and it sends shivers down my spine. "Around 16 or so." he says.