vii. fights & acceptance

Start from the beginning

"So that's why he was frozen like that?" Dustin asks.

"Maybe." Mike answers.

"Can it hurt him?" Lucas asks. "I mean, if this shadow thing isn't from our world..."

"I'm not sure. Dustin?" Mike asks the boy who knew almost everything about D&D.

"Well, if you're in another plane, you can't interact with the material plane, so theoretically, no, the shadow can't hurt him." Dustin explains, in theoretical terms.

"Yeah, if that's even what's happening." Mike states, sighing. "This isn't D&D. This is real life."

"So what do we do?" Lucas questions.

"We acquire more knowledge." Mike explains. "I'll go to Will's after school. See what's going on. You guys stay here and find Dart."

"Dart? What's he gotta do with this?" Dustin questions, almost looking offended that they have to continue looking for his beloved pet.

"Will heard him in the Upside Down." Mike states to Dustin. "I don't know how yet, but he's gotta be connected to all this. He's gotta be. If we find Dart, maybe we can solve this thing. Maybe we can help Will."

◌ ◌ ◌

As soon as the loud bell rang, signaling that school was over, Lucas and Liz headed out of the classroom to find Dustin so they could continue looking for Dart. Liz wasn't exactly excited to continue looking for Dart considering it was Friday, and all she wanted to do was go home, but she wanted to help Will and this was how she could do it.

"You see him?" Lucas questions the girl as they look around the crowded hall, searching for the curly headed boy.

"Nope." Liz sighs. She continues looking until she spots Max by her locker, grabbing her skateboard. "You wanna ask Max? Maybe she saw him?"

   Lucas's face lights up the idea, and he starts walking over to Max with Liz following him, "Hey, Max. Have you seen Dustin? We're supposed to meet after class."

   Max gave no answer and instead slammed her locker shut. She walked away without even a glance in their direction. Lucas and Liz shared a look of confusion, and Lucas started following her out as Liz followed him, "Max! Hey, Max!"

   "Where are you going?" Liz asked, running down the school steps after the redhead. "We've gotta go look for Dart."

   "Yeah, good luck with that." Max replies as they get down the school steps. Liz stops in her tracks at those words, now knowing that Max was mad about something. Both her and Lucas ran after her. She didn't understand why Max was upset with them.

   "What is wrong with you?" Lucas yells to her as they follow her as she's storming to her brother's car. Liz grabs his wrist slightly and gives him a look that says that he messed up. That question was something you never ask to a girl, especially one that is mad at you.

   "What is wrong with me? What's wrong with you?" Max scoffs.

   "I don't understand." Lucas states, prompting Max to turn around.