Chapter 6

Chapter 6

SEBASTIAN

Watching Harper stomp away in frustration only prompted me to smirk in amusement, before rolling my eyes when CJ shook his head in lighthearted disapproval at me before they continued making their way down the sidewalk. With an irritated sigh, I followed after them, eyes landing on the sign for Applebee's a little further down.

The whole idea of getting Harper Sinclair and I to spend a day together was all kinds of outrageous. The girl and I had never gotten along, and it wasn't just due to the fact that our families as a whole despised each other. We've been competing at almost everything academically in school, the contempt from the Hartford's and Sinclair's only fueling the nature of it, and if we ever spoke to one another it was only to see who could be proven to be better at throwing jabs and insults, or just who could get the other to be quickly annoyed. Harper and I were oil and water—we didn't mix.

Reaching Applebee's, we caught the attention of the host, who told us that it was a ten minute wait so we stood by the various other people who were waiting to be seated. Loud music was playing through the restaurant, mixed in with the noisy chatter of the many people packed in. That's gotta be some sort of fire hazard.

As I leaned against the wood paneled wall, CJ approached me as his girl and Harper stood a few feet away, conversing. "You just can't help yourself, can you?" CJ asked as he shook his head, although the amused smile on his face was wide. "You and Harper are always at each other's throats."

"You say that like it's unheard of," I pointed out, scoffing lightly as I crossed my arms over my chest. With an impatient sigh I stood straight and dished, "Man, what the fuck gave you the idea that this would turn out well? You really expected Sinclair and I to get along all of a sudden?"

"No, because I ain't a clueless idiot," CJ rolled his dark eyes, looking slightly exasperated. "But you can try, can't you? C'mon, dude, I really like Lennox. Don't ruin this for me, man."

A sting of offense and guilt struck through me; the former because CJ thought I'd try to ruin something for him intentionally, and the latter because in this situation, that might slightly be possible. Kind of hated myself for that. "I won't," I assured him nonetheless, eyes flickering to where the two girls we were in company with stood. As if sensing my gaze, Harper glanced over, face immediately falling into an annoyed glare as she locked eyes with me before sharply looking away once more. Groaning airily, I looked back at my best friend and complained, "But seriously, man? You're making me hang out with not just any Sinclair. It's Harper—you know damn well we don't get along at all."

"I know, I know," CJ nodded, scratching the back of his neck. "I'm not sayin' you guys have to get along. Just—tolerate each other. Hell, you can insult each other all you want so long as it doesn't get too nasty, alright?"

His compromise prompted a short incredulous laugh out of me, shaking my head as I glanced down at me feet. "Alright, okay, you got it," I relented, lifting my head to look at my smiling best friend. Snorting, I shoving him lightly and said, "The things I do for you, man."

Just then, the host called out, "CJ, party of four," before leading us up the stairs and through the second floor of the crowded restaurant, before seating us in one of the back booths. I slid in, CJ right next to me with Harper seated across, both of us pointedly and actively ignoring the presence of the other as we accepted the menus handed to us.

The first few moments were silent—besides the boisterous environment of the restaurant itself—until Lennox spoke up. "So, Sebastian, how'd your dad react when he realized Harper's family was here, too?" she questioned, a knowing smile on her lips.