Chapter 9 | Love & Lies

December 25, 2016

When Josh emerged from the bathroom, she was awake, but she stayed where she was. She pulled up the blanket to cover her naked body and smiled at him.

"So you're awake," he said, smiling. His hair was still wet but he was already dressed in the suit that he always wore to his office. He walked toward her and planted kisses all over her face; her forehead, her eyelids, her nose, her cheeks, and finally her lips. "Merry Christmas, Rossie."

She giggled. "Thanks to you, I had a wonderful night." She kissed him back a couple more times. "You're coming tonight?"

For the next few minutes, they just kissed and neither spoke. Josh ran a hand under her shirt, in no time his hand unhooked her bra while his lips brush her neckline. But then, Josh's phone rang and ruined it in an instant.

"I have to go," he said. "Joshua needs me tonight, so I probably won't come here."

"It's fine. I can go to your apartment."

He played with her hair and smiled. "We better spare Joshua some time. You know, teenagers can be pretty sensitive sometimes."

Ross didn't like his idea, but she didn't have any other choice than to agree with him. After all, he was Joshua's father.

He spruced his tie and then turned to face her. "Do I look like a father who just worked late from his office?"

She smiled and used the blanket to cover her naked body when she drew nearer. "You're an awful liar, Josh." With one hand, she messed his hair up, unbuttoned the first button of his shirt and pulled his tie a little. "Now it's better."

Josh gave her a goodbye kiss on her cheek and noticed that dawn had already come. He picked up his bag and let Ross walk him to the door.

"Do you really have to go?" she asked one more time.

He smiled. "If you drop that blanket maybe I can stay for ten more minutes," he teased.

They kissed a couple more times and when Josh finally left, Ross cleaned herself up and made French toast and a coffeeㅡher daily breakfast when she was running out of money.

She thought of her first meeting with Josh when he lied about everything. At first, she believed him when he said that his wife was out early in the morning because she was a businesswoman, but then she found out that something was odd with the way he looked at her.

A couple of weeks passed, and they met again in the café where Ross was working. They were only flirting and exchanging smiles at first, and Ross thought that would be all. To her surprise, he waited until her shift ended and took her into his car, where they kissed for the first time and had a one night stand.

The real problem was that little JoshuaㅡJosh's sonㅡdon't like her. When Josh brought her to his apartment a few days later, he accidentally caught them having sex and ran away from home.

Josh had a terrible day and that was when Rossie understood that Joshua meant the world for Josh. She still didn't know who Joshua's mom was, but was that a big deal when she already had him, loving her in the way she needed to be loved?

Ross chewed her French toast silently. Two minutes after, she rushed to the bathroom and threw everything up. She was never really ill so she just knew that this was different than a cold.

Her stomach didn't feel better after she threw up, and she didn't want to believe it, but sometimes bad things happened.

"Oh my God," she murmured. "This can't be."