Chapter One: Arrival

Start from the beginning

"Amy!" I heard a voice squeal and I felt short arms wrap around my hips.

Megan. I grinned and felt warm go through me as I picked up my little sister, spun her round and pulled her close to me. I never wanted to let her go. I didn't know what I was missing until I got it in my arms. She wrapped her tiny arms around my neck and planted a kiss on my cheek. 

"Look at you cutie!" I said.

She giggled. "I missed you."

"I missed you too Megan."

I hadn't had my sister in my arms for three years. Now I had her, I never wanted to let go. I remained holding her close and the more I held her the happier and warmer I felt. She was short for a 5 year old and very skinny. She shared my pale skin and dark brown eyes, that were often mistaken for black eyes from a distance. Her hair was lighter than mine. Well obviously as mine is dyed black. Megan's hair was a lighter brown than my natural colour. Her hair finished just past her shoulders so considering her height it was pretty long. 

I turned around and my dad and Isobel were talking to mum and John. My dads face lit up when he saw Megan and he walked over to us.

"Daddy!" Megan squealed excitedly.

"Hello munchkin!" 

She outstretched her arms and I handed her over to him.

I walked over to Isobel and gave her a weak smile. My mum turned. She had her blonde hair, which might I add was not natural, in a neat bun. Her pink lips went up into a smile. 

"Hello honey." She greeted me and gave me a hug and a kiss. "You're even more beautiful than on Skype."

"Hey mum. Yeah you too."

"I'm so glad you're staying with us. I've missed you."

"Me too." I replied. 

"I want you to meet John."

I looked at the man mum was pointing to. He was tall and had a strong build. His grey eyes travelled up me. They paused on my lips. A questioning look went across his face. This really pissed me off. It was clear he was judging me.

"It's a lip piercing." I said bitterly. "Have you never seen one before? You're very welcome to take a picture." 

"I... Erm. Sorry. I'm John." He stuck his hand out awkwardly. 

"Amy." I shook it unenthusiastically.

It probably made me seem very rude but I was not afraid to make it clear to him he had annoyed me. I mean come on! First time he met me and he analyses my appearance and judges me. He doesn't even know me. None of the people I now have to spend half a year with do. 

"Where'd Adam go?" My mum asked him.

"The cheeky bugger! He went inside. Do excuse my son. He's just a bit shy."

"Well we should probably get going." Isobel said. 

I quickly wrapped my arms around her and buried my head in her. 

"I'll miss you so much." I whispered to her.

"You too. Take care. I know this isn't your thing, but give it a chance. We'll call you. I love you." She whispered back.

"I love you too."

I reluctantly let go and went to go say goodbye to my dad. 

I waved off the car and turned around. To face them again.

"How was your flight?" My mum asked.

"It was okay thanks."

"Your stuff was delivered earlier, it's all in your room. Untouched don't worry." John said and smiled.