Chapter 1 -The Meeting

My alarm clock sounded and it was time for another harsh day at work. South Beach was where all the Balla's and Bopper's came to congregate. Aja and I had found a job at one of the most Exclusive Hotels in South Beach. Now, there were plenty of hotels on the strip but Elite Towers was the place to be. We had only been working there a few months and I was already up for Shift Supervisor. I wasn't sure if I wanted the position but what I did know was Aja sure as hell wasn't going to get it.

"Aja get up before we are late to work."

See that's exactly why she is forcing me to take the shot. She will let that clock go off a whole hour and continue to hit the snooze button. We had been rooming together since high school but had been friends since we were six. Aja's mom died from Lupus and her dad remarried and moved to

1

MAIJA MONREAUX

Queens. Aja had nowhere to go so my mom took her in and we have been side by side ever since.

"Girl this rush hour traffic is something else and you know the way it's moving that we are going to be late."

"Well Mi, I will make sure that I'm not around when he goes off." Laughing, when I didn't find a damn thing funny! By the time we made it in everyone had been on the floors a half an hour already. I grabbed my master key and the clipboard then headed towards the Café'. Then half way down the hall I realized I forgot my bed detector. That was the new device that helped us identify bed bugs. The Elite felt that their customers paid too much to go home with bed bugs they didn't create. These lazy ass laundry workers treated their jobs like they were part of the Union. I guess if I were getting paid seven twenty an hour, I would do the same half ass job as they did. Aja had already started on her rooms, while I tried quickly to get to The Café for my daily Mocha Latte fix. Today was Friday and I knew it would be packed on the account of the Street Hustlers Car Convention. It would be everyone from top notch to barely paid attending. The hotel would always be booked to capacity anytime something hot was within 20 miles.

Around eight, I could hear the car horns and bass from the trunk of people cars. Aja thought that we should go freshen up before the tide came through. Since we always kept some cleaners pressed jeans in the Executive Companion Suite, we could get up there and back before

2

LOVIN A GANGSTA

our Supervisor Jay came snooping. Aja was taking her time, so I pushed my way through and pinned my curls back, slapped on some Dior lip gloss and dragged Mrs. Cruela out of the mirror before she turned into the Wicked Witch. By the time we got back to the front desk, the walls were packed.

"Please form a line to my left if you would like a Standard Elite and on my right for the Jacuzzi Club." Aja said. I exchanged the funds in the cash register for smaller bills from the vault while Aja played Mother May I with these unruly ass bitches. Aja had also bought us tickets but I knew that Jay wasn't going to let us off. One because he liked Aja whereas she wasn't giving him the time of day and two because he was just as miserable at home as he was at work. So I jumped behind the desk Aja took the floor.

Within three hours just about all the rooms except for the two Jacuzzi suites where sold out. As the last few people rolled in we decided to switch. I was getting tired of standing in that one place and we all know how a new pair of heels could be killer on the toes. Just as I thought we could wrap things up and head to Jack in the Box for break, one last dude strolled in. The funny thing was that he didn't have a trail of women following him. After he paid for the Jacuzzi Club, he asked if he could have a bottle sent up and some extra towels.

"All we have is Magnum, will that do?"

3

MAIJA MONREAUX