Chapter 1

It was our Friday Baby-sitters club meeting, and Kristy was calling us to order. As always, we held our meetings at Claudia's house.

"As the president of the baby-sitters club..." Kristy says. "...I hereby move that we figure out what to do when Mrs. Newton goes to the hospital to have her baby." She continues sitting comfortably in a movie director's chair and holding up on finger professional like.

I curl up in a ball, holding my legs to me tight and ask, "What do you mean?"

Kristy then smiles. "Mr. and Mrs. Newton will need someone to take care of Jamie, whenever it happens. Smart baby-sitters would be ready for the occasion."

All sparky, Mary Ann popped up with delight. "I think that's a good idea, Kristy."

I smile.

"Maybe from now on, one of us should be free each afternoon, so Mrs. Newton will be guaranteed a sitter." Added Kristy moving her hands in sense.

Claudia was laying on her bed with bubblegum in her mouth and said. "That seems like a waste. . . .babies can be late. Two or three weeks late."

In agreement I added. "Claudia's right. . . .we could be giving up a lot of perfectly good afternoons for nothing."

Claudia's bubblegum popped right after I said that. Then the club started to talk again. But I spaced out.

______________________________________________
My name's Stacey McGill. I just moved to this teeny-weeny town, Stoneybrook, Connecticut. Which is quite a shock, since I grew up in . . .

. . . New York City!

I absolutely loved it there. I had lots of friends, and lots to do. Everything was  great until about a year ago.

Me and my best friend, Laine, got up from a booth at a restaurant. Me, I was feeling a little headache, making me tumble a little, but I caught myself by holding on the table.

"You okay, Stacey?" Questioned Laine.

"I . . . I'm fine." I stammered rubbing my forehead.

We decided to leave to another restaurant.

But I wasn't fine. I snarfed down a load of food leaving me feeling queasy.

KLONK!

That was me passing my head out in my food. Laine jumped back.

I was tooken to the hospital where my parents and I found out dreadful news.

"Stacey has diabetes." Said a doctor holding onto a clip board.

My mom immediately held onto my arm. "What?? No, not my baby!!"

The doctor continued. "It's not as bad as it sounds. With the right treatment, she can lead a normal life"

"Diabetes is a problem with a gland in your body called the pancreas." The doctor says trying to make sense.

"The pancreas makes insulin, which is a hormone. Insulin allows your body to use sugar from the food you eat to give heat and energy."

More explaining, the doctor continued. "When the pancreas doesn't make enough insulin to do the job, the glucose from the sugars builds up in your blood and makes you sick."

"But, if you eat healthy diet, and give yourself insulin injections every day--."

I pop up from my bed. "What?!"