New Year's Kiss

Julien tilted his chin up as Daphne's fingers tucked the knot of his tie against his throat. He leaned in to steal a quick kiss. "You look beautiful."

"And you look absolutely handsome." She tipped up for another peck. "Now we better leave or we might be past fashionably late."

He pulled her scarf up close around her as they stood in the lift and his hand settled in hers over the center console of the car. When they arrived at the gallery, their coats were checked and his hand settled at her back. He guided her through the metal detector first, turning out his pockets with a wry smile. She turned to watch, her own smile verging on mischievous as he stepped through.

The machine beeped and the guard held up a hand. "You'll need to empty your pockets, monsieur."

"I have," Julien said, holding up his hands. "You'll need the wand."

The guard blinked in surprise but did as Julien asked, taking the wand and patting at Julien's side where it squealed. He waved him on a moment later, and Julien caught the eyes of someone who had stopped to watch. They must not have been there the first time he had passed through. Daphne's hand settled at his elbow as they continued and they found their seats for the meal. It wasn't Julien's first appearance at the gallery; Daphne had brought him as soon as she could and for every opening, but there always seemed to be someone staring. Julien couldn't say that he minded. When the meal was done, his arm settled over the back of her seat and he couldn't resist leaning close to kiss her temple.

He was all too eager for the dancing as well, for the chance to settle his hand at her waist and for them to spin around the floor. He discarded his jacket as she asked for a second turn, and he leaned in, out of breath but laughing all the same as he asked for a third. They collected glasses of champagne as they rested, still leaning so shamelessly close as they had in his time. Now it wasn't so taboo, wasn't so shocking. At least in the future no one knew to be offended.

After a few more turns across the floor, the music slowed. When the last few minutes of the year began to slip away, his arm slipped around her waist. One of the museum's screens displayed the Tower, and the countdown began.

"Dix! Neuf! Huit!"

Julien turned, nose brushing against Daphne's temple and brushing a kiss against her ear.

"Quatre! Trois!"

Daphne turned in toward him, a laugh shaking her count. "Deux, un," she said, her face just centimeters from his. The tip was small as they both leaned in. The kiss was gentle and lingering and his nose lined with hers after it broke with a soft sound. "Bonne année, mon cœur," he said.

"Bonne année, bien amié," she echoed.

"Perhaps we'll stay here-- in this year, hm?" His smile broke, wide and teasing.

"Mm, perhaps." Hers only spread to match.