Cold

Sam walked down the road in a t-shirt and sweatpants, shaking in the cold of the December evening.
    Half dried tears stung his face as the cold nipped at his fully exposed arms and face, the backpack on his back containing only his phone and a little bit of money.
    He walked past everyone, no one pausing to ask him if he was ok, or why he was outside in 16°F weather without a coat, or why he had been crying.
    Sam sighed and turned down an alleyway to see where it would possibly take him, as all he really needed was a place to stay until he could get on his own two feet. Metaphorically of course. He hadn't tripped or anything in quite a while.
    His thoughts were cut short as he was snapped out of his thoughts as he felt himself falling backwards.
    "Oh my god! I'm so sorry, are you ok?" A tall boy said, or at least he looked tall from where Sam was currently, with blue eyes and brown hair that Sam could only describe as swoopy.
    Sam shook his head before meeting the strangers eyes again. "Y-Yeah. I-" he stopped to sniffle. "I'm f-fi-ine." He sent a tentative smile up at the boy.
    "I'm Colby, and you're not ok." The boy that Sam now knew as Colby said, looking down at the shivering, teary-eyed boy.
    Sam shook his head. "Th-the story i-is p-pre-etty l-long-g." He said, rubbing his arms.
    Colby's eyes widened before he removed his sweatshirt and dropped it on Sam. "Here you go, you need it more than I do." He said as the smaller boy thanked him and slipped into it, the sweatshirt being pretty large on him.
    "Oh!" Colby mentally slapped himself before holding out his hand to help up the boy.
    Sam grabbed Colby's hand before the boy pulled him up, using a bit more strength then necessary and almost making him fall on his face, but the brunet caught the blond and set him on his feet.
    "It's cold out here, let's go to my house." Colby said before turning and walking, expecting for the small boy to follow, which he did.
    As they neared the house, Colby turned to look at the boy. "I never got your name by the way."
    The boy blinked, his cheeks turning a little more red than they already were from the cold. "I-I'm S-Sam."
    Colby nodded before reaching his mansion that he shared with his friends. Walking inside, the brunet had Sam take off his shoes next to the door before calling into the house.
    "Guys! I have someone I want you all to meet!"
    A few minutes later, four other people had gathered in the living room of the large house. "Ok guys, this is Sam. I'm offering him our spare room for a bit. Sam, this is Aaron, Elton, Corey, and Devyn."
    Sam smiled and waved, still shivering slightly. "H-Hello!" He exclaimed.
    The roommates smiled and conversed for a while before they all went back to their own things.
    Colby smiled at Sam. "So, may I ask what happened?"
    Sam sighed and sat down on the couch, hugging his knees with the sweater paws he had. "Well, if we're trying to keep it brief, I moved from Kansas away from my family to live here with my girlfriend. She was amazing, but about a month ago, I built up enough courage to tell her I was bi. She accepted me pretty well, but about a week ago, she told me that she didn't know if our relationship was going to work out because she was afraid I'd leave her for someone else, and it was hard to keep me to herself if she had to battle two different genders for my love. She said she was willing to work it out, but about three hours ago I got back from a friend's house early to surprise her with a stay in movie night, but it turns out she had been cheating on me for about 5 months now. So I grabbed some money and my phone and left."
    Sam looked sideways to see Colby staring at him with wide eyes. "Wow. That's messed up."
    Sam smiled slightly. "I guess. Either way, I left my coat on the counter and started walking, unable to see where I was going due to the tears. No one payed any attention to me so I turned down an alleyway and got lost in my thoughts before I ran into you and here we are now."
    Colby sighed. "I'm so sorry Sam."
    Sam shrugged and smiled softly. "It's fine, honestly."
    Colby stared at Sam for a bit before standing up. "Well, let's get you to bed. It's late and I can tell you're tired."
    Sam shook his head, yawning in the process. "It's fine, honestly. I can find my own place to stay."
    "Dude, we have a spare room that no one's using. My roommates will be ok with it, come on." Colby grabbed Sam's wrist and dragged him up the stairs, not giving him a chance to refuse.
    After Colby got Sam into the bed, he started to walk out before turning to face the boy. "If you need anything, just get it."
    Sam nodded before closing his eyes while Colby closed the door and walked into his own bedroom before crawling into the warm covers and falling asleep.
    About an hour later, Sam was still awake and tossing and turning, shivering immensely.
    He sat up and looked at the window, noticing that it was propped open. The blond stood up and tried to push the window down, realizing that it was stuck open. Sam tried to open the closet door, seeing that it too was stuck.
    Groaning in exasperation, Sam opened his door to see if he could find an extra blanket, but looking into the hallway gave him a headache, as it looked super complicated and he didn't want to get lost.
    Sam looked across the hallway at a door. He walked over and opened it to see Colby sleeping soundly, taking up a lot of space on the bed.
    Walking over, Sam prepared himself to wake Colby up, but as he reached the sleeping boy, he decided he couldn't just wake him up at midnight.
    Sam placed his hand on the brunet's shoulder before sighing at the warmth and without a second thought, he climbed in next to the sprawled out boy, cuddling up to him with his head on the bare chest, pulling the blanket up over them.

    The next morning, Colby yawned and went to sit up, but felt something on his chest. Confused, the dazed boy looked down to see blond soft hair on the back of a head.
    Colby gently shook the boy awake, confused as to why he wasn't in the spare room.
    The blond yawned and sat up before stretching and then finally opening his eyes. As soon as he did, he realized where he was and went to stand up, getting tangled in the blankets and almost falling onto the floor, if it wasn't for Colby grabbing his shoulder and pulling him back up.
    "Why're you in my room?" Colby asked, frowning in confusion as the smaller boy continued to try to get out of the blankets.
    Sam froze. "W-Well, i-it's freezing in m-my room and your h-house is so c-con-confusing and I c-came to get a... a blanket, but you looked so c-comfy an-and warm th-that I just g-got in w-with you..." he said, shaking slightly from both nerves and the cold air.
    Colby placed his hand on Sam's shoulder. "It's alright, I don't mind." He said before getting up. "I wonder why your room is so cold though."
    "Probably because the window is stuck open." Sam replied, finally escaping the blankets and following Colby as he walked into the room.
    Colby frowned and tried to close the window as a strong, icy breeze blew through the open window, causing chills to run up his arms.
    "Wow. It's really stuck." Colby frowned. "Well, until we get someone to fix your room, you can stay with me."
    Sam smiled. "Thank you Colby. I'm sorry. I get cold easily."
    "No problem." Colby said, leading Sam back into the brunet's room and laying down, hugging Sam tightly as the two fell asleep again.

I'm sorry, I'm awful at ending one-shots...