Chapter One

I draw an exasperated sigh and throw open the door to the busy coffee shop. Absentmindedly, I linger and hold the door for the next person who follows in behind me.

Never again would I come to a Starbucks on a Saturday afternoon. Crowded was an understatement. I looked around and cringed at the multitudes of people. Nervously, I brushed my honey colored hair behind my ears and shuffled into the rarity that was an unoccupied space.

I began to rifle through my bag, looking for my phone. The stupid thing was the only purpose I was here. My mind traced back to the last time I had it, which was when I was at the park with Wren. As far as I was concerned, I didn't remember putting it down for even a moment.

Of course, maybe I did. I mean after all, here I was in a slew of people trying to look for my phone somewhere outside of the busy streets.

I heave a frustrated sigh and cast a desperate glance around the store for an empty table. No such luck. However, there was a table being occupied by only a young man in a black button downed shirt rolled at his elbows. I hated speaking to strangers, but I had to find my phone.

"Excuse me," I mutter softly as I weave my way through a group of girls a few years younger than myself. One of them raises a drawn on eyebrow at me as I accidentally nudge her shoulder. "Sorry." I apologize quickly, passing her swiftly.

Finally, I am close to the table and too frustrated to care about what he might think of me.

I place my bag on the table with a little too much force. "Hi, I'll only be a sec. I have to find my phone." My hands pull out the contents of my purse and lay them on the table.

The contents are dwindling and eventually they're strewn across the brown surface of the table. I run a hand down my face with exasperation. The boy looks up at me.

He is startling. Ebony strands of hair come together messily across his forehead, contrasting against his washed out and pale skin. His light hazel eyes are surrounded by dark circles. A vague look of annoyance colors his angular face as he looks at me. "Do you need help?" He says lowly.

I blink. "I'm sorry?" Heat rushes to my cheeks as I realize my gaze had lingered a little too long.

"Do you need help?" He asks again, motioning with a long hand to my mess. I blush even more, if that's even possible, and nod. "I can't find my phone." The words come out quietly. My eyes drift over him again. He is striking in an odd, dark kind of way.

"I can call it, if you'd like." He suggests. I nod and rattle off my number, which he types quickly into the keypad of his phone.

Almost immediately the sound of my ringtone floats into the air. And it's coming from my back pocket.

I slide it out of my jeans and stare at it blankly. "You're kidding me..." I whisper to myself.

The boy folds his hands together and offers the slightest of a smile. "You know, you didn't have to fake lose your phone as an excuse to talk to me." His hazel eyes crinkle.

"I-I swear I had no idea..." I mumble. The words are thick in my mouth and I'm caught between wanting to walk away in shame and laugh at myself. He smiles wider this time which produces a dimple in his right cheek. "I know, I know. I'm playing with you."

I return his smile as I put all my belongings back in my bag. "Thanks." I say, and sling the bag over my shoulder. He gives a curt nod and I turn to leave.

His eyes and dimple are still invading my thoughts as my phone buzzes. I look at the screen and recognize that it was the number that called me- or his. There's a message written under the number that reads, "My name is Leonidas."

---

[A/N] - I wrote this spur of the moment on my phone, so it's probably not all that great. This story is mostly just something to write when I'm bored rather than something I'm serious about getting published so I'm not going to worry about editing it a ton. c: thanks for reading!