That's the one thing I will forever remember—how he made me love the stars.

My nails fingered the cosmic-star bracelet dangling on my wrist. "Yeah...those were um good times."

Charlie patted my hand, holding it for a second. "Are you going to go this year? Fulfill the promise?"

"No."

He gave me a look simmering with disbelief and sadness. "You really should do it—go. It's been on your bucket list for years now."

A few years back, Charlie and I created the JBIAAAL—the Just Because I'm Awesome and Alive—Bucket List. Just a yearly list of things we wanted to accomplish every year.

Every year since my dad passed away, I've always put on my list that I wanted to visit Death Cherry, a beautiful state park that was five states away.

My dad said that it was the best star-gazing site in the world, and he wanted to take me. He always promised to take me, but he died before he could. And the night he died, I had a dream—a dream of him telling me to go and I promised I would.

But four years later, I still never went. A big part of me wanted to go, but something always held me back.

"Maybe next year," I said, feeling my phone vibrate. A text from Ron.

You home?

At the bar. Why?

Some jerk spilled alcohol on me on the train. Need a new shirt. Get one for me?

Alright.

Thanks. Love you. Be there in 20.

"Gotta get Ron a shirt," I said, getting up. "Someone spilled something on him."

My apartment building was only a few blocks away from the bar, so it wasn't much of a hassle.

"Okay. Be safe," Charlie said, before going to serve some customers.

Slinging through the drunken bodies and loud voices, the crisp city air hit me when I walked out of the bar. Old, crusty buildings lined the street, streetlights casting an orange glow on the ice-slicked sidewalks.

I didn't live in the best part of town, but it was cheap. The stone apartment building came into my view, and I ran up the steps and through the lobby before hopping onto the rickety elevator. 

The stench of dirty panties, stale vodka and dusty wallpaper brushed my nostrils when I opened my front door. Dozens of stripper heels and old alcohol bottles littered the chipped wooden floor, and I kicked them out of my way, trying to get to my room.

Ron always kept clothes at my house, so I went to my bottom drawer, pulling out one of his tees.

An old picture of my dad and me behind a telescope caught my attention. I tried to smile at the happy memory, but only sadness cloaked my heart.

Even four years later, the hurt and the pain still never dimmed or escaped my body.

He loved everything about the holidays, which made this time of year even harder for me.

Sucking back my tears, I left the apartment, closing the door behind me. I made it off the elevator and was about to exit the lobby when four people blocked my path.

The loser from earlier grinned, three girls flanking behind him.

"You cheated my man out of his money," some girl said, popping her knuckles. "You're gonna pay." She charged at me with her fist out.

I ducked down but not before landing one in her side.

Living where I did, learning to fight was essential.

The girl moaned and stumbled back onto the floor. The other two girls jumped on me, flinging punches, but I never dropped. Never fall, it could be your death. 

A series of punches and scratches lit up my body, but I kept throwing and landing my own, feeling my adrenaline surge to its highest point.

I screamed as we fought, tumbling around between the three girls. Until a couple of guys coming off the elevator ran over to break it up.

They all ran away, and I dropped to my knees.

"You okay?" one of the guys asked.

Blood trickled down from my busted lip as agony radiated through my scalp and left eye. "Yeah. I'm just gonna go home," I said, making it back onto the elevator.

The front door was as far as I made it, sitting with my back against the wall. My eyes gazed down at the bracelet my father gave me as tears cascaded down my face.

I needed him so bad right now. I hated living here. Charlie was right. Hustling did come back to bite me, but I needed the money. My mother barely kept us afloat.

Everything in me missed him. I wanted to hug him again. See his smile. Listen to him ramble off some random fact that no one else knew but him.

"Go to Death Cherry," his voice said in my head.

I usually ignored his words, but my heart listened this time. What have I got to lose? I was miserable here. Why not go to a place where I can feel close to him one more time? Be happy one more time.

Plus, I promised. 

Getting up, I stumbled into my room, picking up the old picture of us. 

"Death Cherry, next year," it read on the back.

He wanted me to go and I would.

WORD COUNT: 1489