chapter 13

"Prioritize her! We can't afford to let her get away!" Grohams barked at the two cops who nodded.

Melvis opened the door and you tried to make your way out of the police office.

The flames spread very quickly, and the roof already had holes in it. Fire had partially consumed the ceilings and several parts of the ceiling had  fallen on the the floor. It was very dangerous. A couple of meters away, you could see liquid run down the wall which looked like gasoline.

"Looks like the culprit used gasoline light the roof up. No wonder it spread so quickly" Melvis noted.

"Who could be so cocky to light up a police station?" Hansen wondered.

"Doesn't matter, all we have to focus on is how to get out of here. The fire department will handle the rest."

You made your way out of the police station, careful not to get too close to the fire. Grohams's grip was tight, making it impossible for you to escape. 

 The hallways felt very hot and the air reeked from the smoke. Most cops had already evacuated the station and it would take some time for the firemen to  arrive.

All of a sudden, you heard groans of pain from behind you. As you turned your head to look at what happened, you were stunned to see Hansen and Melvis lying dead on the ground. Above them stood a young man, long black hair and a wide scarred smile.

"Jeff!" You cried out of joy and were about to run towards him when Inspector Grohams grabbed you, causing you to jolt back.

Jeff was about to lunge towards him when Grohams held out his gun and cried out:

"Any closer or she gets hurt!" Grohams held the lightning rod only a a few centimeters from your throat.

Surprisingly, Jeff actually halted. He would always look like he was smiling but the anger in his eyes was too obvious. Blood dripped from his knife as he glared at the inspector. He didn't seem to be scared of the fact that the inspector was actually holding a gun, but perhaps he wasn't used to saving someone else.

"This is perfect. Never knew she would work as a perfect bait. Well Jeff, looks like I'll be the one to end you here."

What were you supposed to do? Jeff's lidless eyes slid to you, his expression unreadable. That was it. You knew what you wanted to do. Something inside you snapped, you didn't know what it was, but it made you close your eyes and drop on your knees. Miraculously, the lightning rod did not touch you at all and you just slipped below it. Your knees had barely touched the ground and your foot kicked into Grohams' shinbone.

You had no idea what this was, but it felt the same way as you had kicked Marie before she could stab you. It felt almost like a reflex, or an instinct, you didn't know. But it didn't matter right now. Whatever it might be, it was of an advantage to you.

Your kick caused Groham to loose balance and drop his gun. Before he could reach for it, you grabbed it and shot him in the face. He laid still and moved no longer.

 "You are so damn bad ass, (n). I love it."  Jeff swooned, grinning wide. You gave him a bright smile as he took hold of your hand.

"Let's get outta here."

You nodded and you both ran out of the building.

As you finally escaped the burning police station, a dozen of cops were outside, talking hysterically. There were so distracted, they didn't see you and Jeff sneak out of it.

However, a handful of cops who were standing beside the police car noticed you and Jeff approaching. They drew out their guns and were about to aim at him but he had already dug his knife into their throats and they fell motionlessly to the ground.

Alarmed by the commotion, the remaining cops targeted their guns at Jeff but you shot them before they would dare to hurt Jeff. One head shot per cop, and they dropped dead to the floor.

You were amazed at how smoothly you could aim at them. Never before had you held a gun, let alone shot someone, but despite that you were able to kill them with just one bullet at a time . Why were you so good this? You didn't play many first-person shooter games either.

"You're really talented at killing, you know?" Jeff complimented and you felt yourself blushing.

Suddenly, more police cars appeared, and around fifty policemen ran towards you.

"Cmon, we need to run!" Jeff pulled you into the police car and started the engine. Even with Jeff and his knife or you with the gun, it was nearly impossible to fight off so many cops. Where did they all come from? You haven't seen so many even in the office. They were surrounding you like ants.

They started shooting at the car, damaging the front window. You screamed, afraid the bullets would hit you but they did not. Jeff moved the shift stick and stepped on the gas pedal, speeding up and ramming into a part of the surrounding cops, driving over them. He turned to drive into the busy streets of the city.

He drove at a very high speed and you were afraid you would crash into an accident. Police cars and motorcycles followed you, shooting with their guns at your car. It was hard to get through the traffic and Jeff found himself slightly ramming into some vehicles every once in a while.

You were very tensed, scared of crashing into another vehicle and scared of getting shot by the police. They were closely following you, bombing you with bullets. Would you two survive this? Would you get away safely? You really hoped so...

You reached at a point where a dozen of pedestrians were crossing the street. Jeff gritted his teeth. There was no time to break, or the police would catch up to you and it would be too late to break anyway. Instead, he shifted the gear and sped up, hitting the pedestrians. You slightly shrugged as their bodies flew past the car.

This was almost like an action movie. It always looked cool in the movies, but this was rather terrifying. Who would have thought? You weren't even wearing a seat belt.

You reached the road that was build on a bridge over a big lake. Jeff was still going at high speed, breaking all the rules there were on driving safely. You had to admit though, he looked awesome. You had a bad ass boyfriend and for a moment you couldn't help but admire him despite the situation you were in.

You had mainly managed to gain a greater distance from the other police cars but the police motorcycles were still dangerously close. They shot at you and you covered your head, as you could already hear the window on your side break and suddenly-

You felt a bursting pain on your arm. You screamed out as a bullet dug into your bone. It fucking hurt as if someone had stabbed your arm with a drill machine. As you took a look the wound, it already closed but the bullet was still inside. It was still fucking painful.

 "Are you alright?!!" Jeff's face was worried. He was distracted and then it happened-

They shot the wheel. At the high speed you going, it was impossible to break safely and Jeff lost control over the car. It made a semi turn and broke the fence, falling off the bridge. The door on your side opened and you fell out.

"JEFF!!" 

You screamed, reaching for him as you were falling.

Jeff jumped out of the car, reaching for you as well and caught your hand in the mid air and held you in his arms, as you both fell towards the dark lake. There was no way you could survive this. The bridge was at least 80 meters high. You would both die. Tears dropped down your face as you fell nearer to the surface.

The last thing you saw was the reflection of the colorful streetlights on the surface of the lake and then everything turned black.