7

early august meant back to school for the children and teens of derry.

it was the first day of eddie and richie's senior year. 'one more year of this hell and we'll be free of it,' richie would say.

stan and bill still giggled and grinned wildly every time richie was near eddie.

eddie had gotten used to it.

he hadn't told richie about what was on his mind that night, on the phone. he was too scared.

stan and bill knew, obviously, but eddie was terrified to talk to richie about it.

eddie was falling for richie.

he couldn't help it. every time he saw richie's smile or heard his laugh, it was like he began to fall deeper and deeper in love with him.

eddie was walking to school, his backpack on his back, little hands gripping the straps.

he looked up at the too familiar building and let out a sigh.

one more year, eddie. one more stupid fucking year.

he looked around the courtyard, spotting an oh-so-familiar face; one that could brighten his mood at a single glance.

"hey, eds!" richie called as he saw the smaller boy, waving and grinning.

eddie couldn't help but smile as he ran over to richie. all his nerves had disappeared once he saw richie. he thought it was amazing how one person could impact his mood so much.

it was just like the movies when richie and eddie shared their embrace.

eddie ran to richie, dropping his backpack right before he jumped into his arms, the taller boy spinning him around before putting him down. richie grinned down at the shorter boy in front of him.

"i missed you."

eddie giggled. "it's been three days, richie."

"are you saying you didn't miss me?" richie teased.

eddie blushed and kept smiling, gently pushing richie's shoulder. "um, yeah, i missed you. are you crazy?"

"maybe." he grinned.

eddie giggled. "you're such an idiot."

"i'm your idiot, eddie spaghetti."

eddie rolled his eyes, smiling widely.

eddie and richie didn't have first period together this year; eddie had AP english and richie had precalculus.

eddie walked into the classroom, hoping that the teacher would allow the students to choose their seats. he looked at the board for a seating chart, but there was none to be found.

he quickly made his way to the back of the classroom, sinking down in an empty desk after placing his bag on the ground next to him. he closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

it was gonna be weird without richie in first period. they'd shared the first class of the day together since their sophomore year. eddie just hoped this class would go by quickly.

he was snapped out of his thoughts by the sound of a girl talking to him.

"hey, can i sit here?"

beverly marsh.

eddie opened his mouth to speak, but then closed it again and nodded. the red-headed girl gave a warm smile. eddie gave a shy smile back.

he'd heard tons of rumors about her since middle school, about how she'd slept with practically every guy in the whole school. bill was convinced that they were just rumors. eddie really had no opinion on them. besides, even if they were true, bill seemed to like her, so she must be a nice girl, right?

"eddie, right?" she asked, earning a nod from the small boy. "i'm beverly."

eddie smiled softly, and beverly put her hand out for him to shake. eddie cringed a bit.

"what's wrong?" she asked.

"not to be rude, but do you know how many germs can be transferred through a handshake, even if your hands are thoroughly washed?"

beverly pulled her hand back, looking a bit confused. "oh, uh.. sorry."

eddie sighed softly. "it's not your fault. you didn't know," eddie replied, plainly.

the teacher walked in as soon as eddie stopped talking, which meant class was starting.

after the 90 minutes was over, it was time for economics, a class he shared with stan and bill. on the way to class, he met up with the two.

somehow, they got to the topic of richie, among all other things they could have been talking about.

"eddie, you should tell him how you feel," stan said, cheerfully.

"yeah, i'm s-sure he's into you." bill grinned.

eddie blushed and rolled his eyes. "but what if he's not, though."

"have you seen the way he looks at you? it's like nothing else matters to him but you." stan giggled excitedly.

"the way who looks at him?" richie's voice called as he jogged to the three boys. stan and bill immediately grinned and giggled.

"someone s-special," bill said, a wide grin plastered on his face.

"oh?" richie smiled down at eddie, raising a brow. "and who might that be?"

"y-"  stan began, but eddie cleared his threat loudly, interrupting him.

"yOur mom!" he exclaimed, his voice cracking. richie laughed.

"aww, eds, you don't wanna tell me? i thought you loved me!" he said, teasingly, which made stan and bill start giggling again. eddie's cheeks filled with a rosy color.

i do.

"shut up, fuckface." eddie rolled his eyes.

richie laughed. "well i love you, eddie spaghetti."

eddie's heart practically soared at the sound of that. bill elbowed eddie, causing him to stumble slightly. the smaller boy elbowed him back, which made him to bump into stan. soon, they were all giggling at each other.

"we're g-g-gonna head to class now, r-richie. see you around?"

"yeah, definitely." he grinned at bill, then said goodbye to stan, before turning to eddie. "see ya later, princess," he said, before ruffling eddie's hair and making his way to his own class.

as soon as richie was out of sight, stan squealed. "eddie, he's into you!" he exclaimed, causing eddie to blush and frantically shush him as they walked into their econ classroom.