3

eddie opened the door to his house quietly, wiping his shoes on the doormat before stepping inside, and closing the door behind him just as quietly.

"i'm home, mommy!" eddie called to his mother. he peeked into the living room to see his mother, who beckoned him closer. he knew what that meant.

the freckled boy made his way over to his mother, kissing her cheek. the large woman smiled in satisfaction and looked at her son.

"are you feeling okay, eddie bear?"

eddie nodded. "yes, mommy, i feel good."

"did you take your medicine on time?"

"yes."

"good."

"can i go lay down, mommy?"

the woman nodded at her son, then looked back to her television program.

eddie nodded back and quickly made his way to his room. richie's phone number was in his fanny pack, zipped up in the front. when eddie got to his room, he closed the door and took the little paper out, staring at it.

'xoxo richie
call me sometime your highness'

eddie blushed at the nickname. he'd never thought richie tozier of all people would flirt with him.

richie wasn't the most popular kid at school, but he was definitely above eddie in social status. hell, who wasn't? it surprised eddie that anyone was interested in him.

he studied the numbers, the messy handwriting, and the little doodle. should he call richie? if he did, he'd have no idea what to say. if he didn't, he'd feel bad about it.

everything felt so suddenly conflicted. his chocolate eyes flickered to the shiny red phone on his bedside table as his lower lip got caught between his teeth. he was so nervous about this. richie didn't seem that bad when they talked at the diner today. maybe he would feel comfortable talking to him?

eddie sighed deeply, picking up the phone and dialing the number, before pressing the thing to his ear. it rang a few times, before richie spoke.

"hey."

"richie, hi, it's ed-"

"you've reached the voicemail of the one and only richie tozier! i'm probably out doing something important, like fucking your mom." the smirk was obvious in richie's voice at the time of the recording. "you can leave a message but i probably won't ever hear it. call back later, yeah?"

eddie slammed the phone back down and inhaled. richie must still be at work. he couldn't believe he didn't think of that. he'd only been home for, what, ten minutes? he didn't know what time richie got off work, but it was almost certain that he was still at the diner.

it was stupid anyways. eddie shoved the paper back into his fanny pack and turned on his tv. he sighed and unbuckled his fanny pack, setting it on the table, then getting up and changing into a yellow shirt and red shorts before laying down on his bed, staring at the ceiling. the television was mainly for background noise anyways.

he was anxious about calling richie. it wasn't a big deal, he guessed. his anxiety would go away.

but as he waited and waited, it didn't. he could swear that it grew. he guessed that about twenty minutes had passed. two halves of a television program came and went, and at commercial break, when an annoying, overly energetic advertisement for some stupid kids' toy rang through the speakers and flashed on the screen, eddie turned the television off.

let's try this again, he thought.

eddie picked up the phone, grabbing the small paper out of the fanny pack that lay untouched on the table. his slender fingers punched in the number combination, and his heart raced as the speaker in his ear began to ring, and ring, and ring.

eddie was about to give up once more, before–

"yo, richie tozier speaking."