Chapter Thirty One - Could we?

Start from the beginning

I smile and am about to respond when we pull up to her house and I sit up in anticipation, unbuckling my seat belt. "Baby, relax." Nick says, chuckling. 

I shake my head and get out of the car. I wait for Nick to meet me in the front of it and we walk hand in hand to the door. 

We don't even get to knock before the door is thrust open and we're greeted by a smiling Caren. 

"Come in, come in!" She says, grinning. 

I laugh and we each hug her in turn and follow her to the living room. She turns around. 

"Make yourself at home, I'm making some tea right now. I'll be right out." 

I nod and Nick smiles at her. As soon as she leaves the room, Nick and I take in our surroundings and I have to stiffle a gasp. 

All around us our pictures of our little girl. 

To the right, on the end table are pictures of what looks like different spelling bees she's been in. I stand up and look towards the walls, year after year of school pictures decorate the space and tears spring to my eyes. I feel arms wrap around my waist and Nick's head is on my shoulder. 

I turn around in his arms. "We can't do this, Nick." 

He looks down at me. "Do what?" 

I shake my head, still taking in all the pictures of this little angel's life. Seeing the family vacations, and professional pictures. I look at Nick. 

"She's not ours. She never will be." I shake my head when he tries to interrupt. I close my eyes and wipe at the tears that are spilling. "We can't just barge into her life now. This is what she knows. This." I gesture to the family room. A true family room. "We would be selfish to do this to her." 

Nick shakes his head and we hear a throat clear behind us. I wipe at the tears as quickly as I can and we turn around. 

George and Caren are standing there, smiling at us kindly. 

"Please sit." George says, gesturing to the couch we were sitting on a few minutes ago. 

I sigh. "Look, I'm sorry-" Caren raises her hand and smiles at me. She comes over and clasps my  hands in hers. 

She nods her head towards the couch. "Please." 

I nod, and sit. Nick takes my hands and rubs them gently. I look at the couple before us. 

George speaks up first. "This is going to be hard. Really hard. For all of us." 

Caren nods. "But this is what Rain wants. She wants to know you two." She looks at me. "Sara, she wants to know you." 

Caren looks at her husband and they seem to be having a silent conversation. 

Caren looks back at us. "Every since she started school, she's been seeing other kids with their parents and she started telling us about the way they looked like each other and she would say they had this connection." She looks at her husband and then down at her hands. "She would say that she doesn't have this connection with us." She looks at us and shakes her head. "Five years old! Five years old and she's telling me 'Mommy, we don't look like each other.' or 'Mommy why don't we have the same eyes or the same somethin?'" She wipes her eyes. "She is way too smart for her age. She figured it out almost immediately." 

George nods. "And she came to us one day and called us out on all our bullshit white lies. When she would bring these kinds of things up we would always kind of just steer her away from the conversation or distract her with something. But we couldn't this time. So we told her. We told her who you guys were, showed her pictures. An hour later she comes to us and tells us she wants to know you guys." 

"She was very adamant." Caren says. "She needs this. And so do you." She says, looking at me. 

I stare at my fingers, thinking through everything. Nick speaks up. "Are you guys sure?" 

Caren chuckles. "We aren't, no. Rain on the other hand, absolutely." 

George laughs. "Oh yes." 

I look at the couple before me, and then I take another glance at their living room and the life they've built with Rain... my daughter. My daughter

Something just snaps in me then and I've made up my mind. 

"Okay." I sit up. "I want to see her. When is a good time?" 

Nick looks at me, taken aback. George and Caren smile. "How about Wednesday? It gives us each a couple days to get ourselves ready and we can give Rain a little time to process that she's going to be meeting her parents." 

I nod. "Yes, awesome, thank you." 

I look at Nick, and I see the happiness I'm feeling reflected in his eyes. 

We're meeting our daughter.