xiii

i'd had my doubts once and look where that got me. i was done playing games, my time for fun had ended. i knew now what i wanted, and i wasn't going to let it slip through my fingers. if ethan needed time so be it, i would give it to him if that's what he wanted.

the only thing that couldn't happen was letting the girls know the full situation. they couldn't see us like this, they couldn't know the truth behind why we were here. it would break their hearts and i don't think they would fully understand. they would only think that they were losing ethan forever and i could never ever put them through that. it was hard enough for me the mere thought of him leaving, i couldn't imagine if it actually happened. this family would be destroyed, all our love and trust would be diminished.

i go and check grayson's bedroom, seeing the girls' spots empty. the blankets were nearly kicked off the bed, and i took it upon myself to make the bed since we were his guests. after making the bed i made my way downstairs to the kitchen. i saw the girls seated at the table, and gray standing shirtless over the stove. each girl had a stack of small pancakes in front of them.

how fitting.

grayson turned his head towards me, acknowledging me.

"good morning. care for some breakfast?" he said cool and calm.

"sure, why not." i sat down across from the girls, giving them a smile.

"did you two sleep okay last night?"

"yeah, uncle gray's bed is really soft, it's like a big cloud!" ava exclaimed with a mouth full of pancakes.

"his pillows are so fluffy too mommy!" olivia added, her eyes wide with excitement.

it warmed my heart to see them still so happy and so unaware. as long as they stayed this way i knew getting through this period wouldn't be as difficult.

grayson swooped his arm in front of me, setting a plate of pancakes topped with strawberries and whipped cream in front of me.

"just how you like them." he said softly behind me.

he freaking remembered...after all this time?

"yeah, thanks..." i stared at the plate in disbelief.

he took a seat at the head of the table, coffee in hand. i sat eating quietly as the girls rambled off story after story to grayson. He sat entranced by their every word, a smile plastered on his face. i looked back and forth between them, closely examining their faces, watching their movements. the more i stared the more similarities i saw. the way ava smiled, the way olivia laughed, it was almost the same as grayson. they had always had a hint of color to them, more than me and ethan, especially me.

however, both girls were beyond extra with everything, always proving to me that they were indeed ethan dolan's children.

but grayson was right...there was in fact a fifty fifty chance that they were his.