ix

as the evening approaches, he has retreated to the bedroom for awhile. i get the girls settled in their room, watching a movie, and i stand in the doorway of my bedroom, seeing him crouched in the closet.

"just in time," his wide smile is so fake and menacing, it's nearly scary. in his hand, he holds a backpack that i've had forever. he throws it at me and i catch it, feeling the weight against my stomach.

"have fun with my fucking brother for the next week." ethan puts his hand on the door, looking as though he's ready to shut it. shut it and do what?

cry?

scream?

punch the wall?

sleep?

curse me out?

my gaze flicks between the gaze and him.

"ethan-"

"buh bye princess." he fakes a smile once more before slamming the door in my face.

i stand in shock, clutching the book bag in my hands. i could not just up and leave my girls, i refused to. they wouldn't understand and surely ethan would make them think i left them for good. tears welled in my eyes at the thought. i couldn't stand having my girls hate me, they were my world, my everything.

i was utterly lost at what to do.

if i left, the girls left with me.

period.

i walked into the girls' room, turning off the movie. they whined in disapproval.

"girls," i whispered, "i need you to be quiet. i need you both to fill a suitcase with clothes and anything else you want, we're going to visit uncle grayson."

both girls jumped up in excitement, their mouths open ready to cheer. i hushed them immediately, pointing a finger for them to get packing. both girls hurriedly starting packing anything they could grab.

i walked into the bathroom, grabbing their bath necessities.

if this is what ethan wanted, this is what i was going to give him.

maybe this time would be good for him. he would realize how much of a dumbass he was and come to his senses.

however...me being with grayson would make that a bit difficult...but where else would i go? my parents lived too far and they would surely not want me coming back, sean and lisa were in jersey, gray was my only choice.

i quietly closed the bathroom door, heading back in to check on the girls. both stood in the middle of the room, bags in hand, smiles on their faces.