~Chapter 18 - Advise~

Hello peeps! A short chapter for you now. Get to know a bit more about Garik and Nik. 

This chapter is dedicated to @angelmeese for her support and voting this week. Thank you! I appreciate every vote and read! 

Enjoy! 

~Chapter 18 - Advise~

Saturday May 28th, 4:24 p.m.

Garik's office

“So that is the prodigal daughter? Hmm,” Garik mused.

“Yes. Are you planning on meeting her any time soon?”

Garik didn't turn. He had been watching his niece enter her cabin. She went in and Alf and Maria left. The door was now shut, but he still watched. His office window faced north, with full view of the vegetable plots, cabins, fields, and part of the lake.

“Maybe,” he grunted.

“Garik, you've barely shown your face since your return. You've told me nothing about your visit-”

“They're my family, it's my business.”

“Nevertheless, I'm your Pack Leader, and I need to know everything that's going on.”

Garik turned to face Nik. “Well, it's a shame you're not telepathic then, isn't it?”

Nik regarded him. “I hope you didn't upset them.”

Garik scoffed. Nik glared at him. Garik became serious and sighed. “I told them that we have Jaz.”

“That sounds like a ransom note.” Garik was about to protest when Nik cut in, “What else?”

“They were upset to say the least.”

“I'm sure you were very sensitive about it,” Nik said, in a way that you were never sure if he was being serious or just plain sarcastic.

Garik eyed him. “It wasn't all hugs and kisses, but I'm fine, thanks for asking,” he retorted, adding enough sarcasm for the both of them.

Nik's lips twitched up in a momentary smile that then disappeared without a trace. “I realize it must have been hard for you. And I know that's why you've been avoiding her-”

“I haven't been-”

“-but you'll have to meet her; sooner, rather than later.”

“Is that an order?” Garik questioned.

“No. More like friendly advice.” Nik turned ready to head for the door. Garik calling his name stopped him. He looked back at him, one hand resting on the door frame.

“How is she?”

Nik regarded him for a moment. “She's well, considering. But it will take time for her to process all this.”

Garik nodded. “It will get harder for her if the Change doesn't start soon.”

Nik studied him with a faint smile. “But she has people around who care about her, right?”

Garik didn't speak, he stared at him with pursed lips.

“We'll just have to wait it out till then.”

This made Garik scowl. “She's my niece, my blood. She will Change, make no mistake about that, and she'll do it in her own damn time,” he snapped.

“I don't doubt it. Believe me,” Nik replied. He then exited the office leaving Garik frowning with puzzlement.

Then Garik's face lit up with comprehension and he slapped his head for not realizing it sooner.