~Chapter 15- Hide~ Part 2

This is a long one peeps! But I thought it would suit this part better if all of it was together. Tell me what you think of the ending. Did you see it coming? What do you think Jaz will discover about you know who? You'll know what I mean when you read it. READ IT! And this chapter is dedicated to the lovely @AquaLily123 for adding this to her RL titled DO NOT IGNORE. I saw it in my notifications and it made me laugh. Thanks for that! ENJOY! 

*

Two weeks later...

Saturday May 28th , 2:33 p.m.

Driver's room

“I want you to meet Edda.” Maria raised a hand to the middle-aged woman who regarded Jaz with a polite smile.

Jaz eyed her suspiciously.

Edda was tall, skinny but lean and had a feminine face dulled by a ruddy, olive complexion. Her wide brown eyes focused on Jaz. Her short sandy hair was damp and her plump lips, which were her most attractive feature, hinted at a smile. She wasn't wearing make-up and her skin was beaded with sweat as if she'd just come inside after doing hard labour in the midday sun. To support this theory, she was wearing scruffy clothes and plimsole trainers that were caked with dirt.

Jaz turned to Maria, not sure of what to make of Edda.

“She wanted to meet you before you stayed in her cabin,” Maria explained with a light smile. “We feel that you are ready to move into an Early Pha- an Early Cabin. For those like you who are new to the way of life here,” she began.

“What you mean li-like live here? There? In a cabin?” Jaz questioned with equal surprise and trepidation.

“Yes, in a cabin-”

“-For how long?”

“As long as it takes. You're our guest and you can stay as long as you want, but at least while you're new to all this, I believe you'd be better off staying somewhere where you can be looked after. By someone with experience, who can help you through it. Until you're ready.”

Jaz was about to ask the question she had locked away since she'd been told she 'wasn't human'. Not so directly by Driver, and very directly by Maria. If I'm not human, what am I? She bit her tongue.

Edda held out her hand, but Jaz didn't return the handshake. She just stared at her, knowing it was rude to both stare and not return a handshake but her brain was stalling. She didn't want to shake Edda's hand because it felt like she was willing to put her faith in a woman she didn't know.

And after injecting herself with an iron shot that morning she wasn't feeling very well. More accurately: she felt like something a cat had sicked up.

Edda put her hand awkwardly by her side, her smile strained. Maria didn't seem offended, which made Jaz exhale with relief.

“What am I supposed to do there?” Jaz blurted out.

Edda eyed her and then glanced at Maria. “She doesn't know?”

Maria shook her head. “She doesn't ask.”

Jaz was dying to know but whatever answers they gave her, she knew it would be the final hurdle and there'd be no going back.

Edda looked at her and said matter-of-factly, “You're going there, until you awaken to the Change.”

All Jaz could do was gape at her in fear.