Chapter 17 Lukis

I run down the hallway of the abandoned building I was stationed in, looking for a hiding spot. I hear footsteps behind me and pick up my pace.

I hear gunshots and yelling from outside and the occasional command or cry for help in the earpiece. I look out each window I pass trying to locate Viron and Res. Rycker's part of the army is running into the fried in front of the Castle trying to help the others.

I push open a door at the end of the hall and find myself in a stair well. I run down the stairs to the second floor. I hear the door open again and feet slamming down the stairs behind me.

"Lukis," I hear Res say in my earpiece. "Now would be a good time." My heart jumps but I keep going down, knowing I can't help her now.

I get to the bottom of the stairwell and look beside me to find a small closet that I could probably fit in. I open the door to the stairwell and slam it close, hoping they will hear it and go that way. I shove my rifle inside before squeezing into the closet as quietly as I can. I close the door just as the feet hit the landing above me. I hold my breath as they pass and leave the stairwell.

I poke my head out of the closet and find the stairwell empty. I go out and find an open window facing the front of the Castle. I set up the rifle and lay down on the floor. I locate Res and find her trying to fight Viron off.

"Res!" I yell into the earpiece. "Get him facing the building and hold him there as best as you can!"

I watch as she maneuvers herself so Viron's back is to me and she is in front of him so his body is blocking hers. I take a deep breath and take aim.

"Keep him there," I whisper to Res. I watch as she starts talking to him and tries to keep him still.

I peer through the sight and find Viron's head. My finger hooks onto the trigger. I take another breath as I squeeze it.

. . .

Blythe's POV

I run down the hallway of the basement in the Castle. I know Viron would keep them here. I know Viron and the layout too well and feel a little bit guilty that I never told Res why. She would never trust me if she knew I was Viron's daughter.

Viron raised me until I was five and he divorced my mom. I went to live with her and she sent 6 year old Lukis to live with her brother and his wife. She was scared of what Viron could do to him. Unfortunately, Viron found Lukis and murdered his "parents".

My mom went to the execution and brought me along for some reason. That's where Res and I first met. Res found out they were my aunt and uncle and comforted me. In return, for the next eleven years I comforted her when she had fights with her family or she had a bad training session. She even taught me how to fight, that's why we are so good together. We know each others next moves and actions.

When Res told us that Lukis was Viron's son, it wasn't hard to believe. I noticed his dark hair and green eyes matched mine. I figured he was the Lukis when I first met him in sophomore year of high school.

My mom worked her ass off trying to find somewhere to hide Lukis. She even took him to specialists to change his powers and identity. I remember his original power, overall- control. He could change someone's power, manipulate it, and control how they used it. She couldn't change the whole power so she had to find a way to cover it up with something else.

She finally sent him to live with her dead sister-in-law's cousin. Who lives close enough to keep an eye on and far enough to keep away from Viron.

Now, I run through the basement searching for Alaric and Millais. If they are where I think they, they should only be a few feet away. As I reach the turn, I look into a room and find two tables with Alaric and Millais strapped onto them.

I sigh in relief as I run up to them. I chance their breathing and pulse and they seem ok, only passed out. I notice they are both covered in sweat or some other kind of liquid. I scrunch up my face because of the smell and start to unstrap them as Alaric stirs.

"What the-? B-Blythe? Where are we?" He asks shaking.

"Calm down," I say undoing the last knot. "We need to get you out of here."

I help him sit up then start undoing Millais's knots. I have to slap him a few times to wake him up. "Come on, get up," I tell him.

He does as told and I help them stand. Alaric tried his best not to lean on me but Millais is still slipping in and out. "This can't be good," I tell myself as I lean him against me. We start down the hall and I hand my gun to Alaric. "Can you shoot?"

"Yeah, I'm already feel better," he tries to smile. I nod and lead them down the hall.

We get to the secret entrance I used to get in. It's really just a ladder just inside one of the rooms that leads to a well outside. Viron showed it to me when I was younger and told me to use it only in emergencies.

I help Millais and Alaric up the first few steps and climb behind them. It's a slow climb and Millais keeps almost falling. Slowly, he starts to wake up all of the way and speeds up. A few minutes later we climb out of the well and are in the Castle's back yard. We hear yelling coming from the other side and race around to help.

As we come out from behind the building, I see a huge battle, justice I left it. I look around quickly and see Res fighting Viron. Well, not really fighting, they seem to be circling each other. I look over to the building that Lukis is stationed at. When I look at the window he is supposed to be waiting at, I don't see anything. I freeze and look over to Res just as a loud crack pierces the air and Iron falls.