01: daisies

daisies originated from north and central europe and have fast become a favourite in the uk. whilst there are many types of daisies available around the world, they each have one thing in common – they symbolise that of a new beginning.

//

"freak!" troy shouted as he threw will byers, also known as zombie boy, against the cold, metal locker. he grunted as he hit his head and fell to the ground, tears building up in his eyes.

"you're such a sissy, y'know that? i wonder if there's a flower that means 'faggot'!" troy and his minions laughed, looking down at the bruised, small boy.

will tried to get on his feet again, but soon was on the ground again when troy kicked him in the stomach. "stay down, you deserve to be on the ground," he yanked will's hair to make him look into his eyes, "pussy." he swung his head against the locker, delivering his last blow.

will whimpered and sat up, immediately feeling sharp pain in his abdomen. tears began to drip down his face and onto his book, titled, 'the language of flowers'.

he heard a familiar voice shouting his name, the vice president of the club, max mayfield.

he turned his view towards the voice, and soon he saw vibrant ginger hair and a terrified gasp. she immediately ran over to him and fell to her knees, examining him.

"will, what happened?" she furrowed her brows and clenched her fists, "was it troy harrington?"

he nodded as more tears began running down his face, a small sob coming from his lips.

max frowned and helped him up, but he shoved her away lightly and stumbled onto his feet. "i don't need help." he whined as the two of them walked into a room all the way in the back of the school, their flower club. their small sign hung on the door, graffitied with several slurs and insults.

max opened the door for him, shutting it and locking it as soon as the two entered.

will didn't like to to talk about his feelings. he felt like he was too much of a bother, not a big enough person to worry about. the only person he ever talked about his feelings with was max, his best friend. they became friends a couple years ago, and they instantly clicked like two pieces of a puzzle.

will smiled as he recalled the first time they met, back in the 7th grade. it's been 2 years. he walked over to the window sill, examining the pots, his face lighting up.

"look, max, the daisies bloomed!" he said excitedly and turned to her, flashing a big smile.

"that's great! this could be a sign, y'know."

"what do you mean?"

"daisies, they mean new beginnings." she smiled and poured a little water into the soil, nourishing the new found daisies. will smiled as he dropped his bag and walked over to their mini-fridge, pulling out two flower pudding cups that jane had made for them.

he handed one to her and they tapped the cups together, will saying, "to new beginnings!"

they both dug in, savouring the rich, creamy pudding. jane was an amazing baker. she was also a member of the club, although she was not as invested as will and max, but she still enjoyed being there. she would often bring in desserts, which ended up in will saving enough money so that they could buy the mini-fridge.

a knock was heard on the door, and max cautiously put down the cup and looked through the small glass panel on the door. she sighed in relief and opened the door, revealing jane.

"hi, gu- oh my god, what happened to you?" she walked in with a smile, but it faded when she saw will.

will avoided eye contact, taking another bite of the pudding. he had no interest in telling people why he's hurt. he wasn't much of a talker.

jane frowned and sat down on the couch, which her family had bought for the club. max pulled out another pudding and handed it to jane, who smiled at her and beckoned her to sit down next to her. max jumped on the couch, giggling.

"oh, um, guys. the principal asked me if we would be willing to p-plant some flowers in the empty plot of soil, by the football field." will stuttered, swaying around.

"what did you say?" jane questioned, throwing her cup in the trash bin.

"you know i'm bad at saying no... and i told him we would get it finished today." he awkwardly squeaked.

max and jane stared at each other, sighing, and began pulling out some aprons, gloves, seeds, fertilizer, and a water can.

"i'm sorry." he said as he grabbed one of the beige aprons, pulling it on and tying it, then grabbing the big bag of soil. even though he was small, will was pretty strong from all the gardening he did. he had no problem carrying the 50 pound bag of soil, which impressed both max and jane, who were usually stuck with carrying seeds and watering cans.

max locked the door as they walked out, and after about 5 minutes, they arrived at the football field. the football players looked over at the three, snickering. except one.

it was a curly haired boy with chocolate brown eyes and freckles that were scattered on his face like tiny stars. while will was admiring him, the boy had already run up to them with a curious look.

"what do you guys want? you're not allowed to plant flowers on the field." he said sternly, looking at the big bag of soil that covered will's face.

will peeked out from behind, smiling awkwardly. "oh... well... the principal asked me to plant some flowers in the little plot of soil right there." he looked over at the spot. the tall boy smiled, which, honestly, shocked will a little bit.

"well, okay. i'm mike wheeler. i look forward to seeing you guys around." he held out his hand, which max quickly shook, seeing that will was struggling to remove his hand from the bag. "see ya." he waved and ran off back into the field, joining his teammates.

will blushed slightly and watched the curly haired boy as he began talking to his friends, his smile was brighter than the sun, and his freckles reminded will of flower seeds; scattered beautifully on his pale skin. before he could continue thinking about how handsome he was, max tapped his shoulder and beckoned him to follow the two girls. he nodded and followed after them, taking one last look at mike.

little did will know, mike was the new beginning that was destined to happen to him.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

first chapter! i worked really hard on this, so i hope everyone enjoys it! ❤