Cassia's dream

The entire dream was so vague and felt distant.

Cassia was panicking and could fell true terror.

She was on a sinking ship and she was the only person on it. She ran about trying to find a way up to the main deck to get away from the water that was quickly overtaking the ship. But every door she found and opened led to another endless hallway. Everything around her was spinning and she felt like she might vomit. Could you vomit in a dream?

Was this a dream? It felt like a dream... and at the same time it didn't. Cassia could feel everything around her and could hear everything perfectly. Yet her vision of things was fuzzy and she felt as if she could wake up any second but something was holding her back from doing so.

She began to scream for help even though she knew that no one was true on the sinking ship. She slammed her fist against the wall and fell to her knees as she hung her head. Why couldn't she wake up??? First she'd lost her memory, now she felt as if a dream would kill her. She looked up with angry tears staining her face and saw a mirror in front of her. Quickly she stood up to look and see what she truly looked like but as soon as she got to the mirror it began floating away.

She chased after it screaming to let her see herself.

"COME BACK!" She cried.

The mirror stopped and so did Cassia.

She stared at from it's back, itching with curiosity. She took one precarious step towards the mirror and it immediately dropped and shattered into a million pieces onto the floor of the ship. Cassia ran to the pieces and picked them up trying look into her reflection. The pieces of the mirror, however, were black. Blacker than the night.

Cassia picked up the shards of glass angrily and threw them down the hall and covered her face with her hands. When she looked up exasperated, she was no longer on the ship. She was in a crowd of people at a ball. She looked around and saw than everyone was dancing but they were all wearing masks.

Cassia's eyes moved all about the room. Women were wearing the finest of dresses and men wore brilliant colors of all sorts. She then realised she too was wearing a dress. She peered down and saw the loud colors that she was wearing and she put her hand over her mouth. This was worse than the sinking ship.

She was alone and ignored at a silly ball. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

In a very swift manner she made her way through the crowd to a man with his back turned away from her. She tapped the back of his shoulder and put on her best fake smile. The man turned around and Cassia immediately gasped. She knew this man, she knew she did! Hoping maybe he knew her she looked at him a bit longer until he asked

"What?" in an annoyed tone.

"Right, yes of course. Pardon me, you just look like someone I know, or at least think I know." She signed "anyway, I just wanted to know if you could tell me where I am because I haven't the slightest idea."

The man blinked at her and then suddenly began laughing loudly. Everyone else in the room did too. Everyone was laughing at Cassia and she didn't even know why. She began fake laughing thinking maybe she really had done or said something funny. But she had only asked where she was. What was so funny about that? She began to get mad.

"STOP THAT!" She commanded.

Almost immediately the laughing stopped. And the man turned to her and rolled his eyes looking bored.

"Honestly, how stupid can one be?" he scoffed and walked away.

"Yeah? Well you have a big nose!" She called after him. She began walking around the perimeter of the ballroom. The room was in the shape of a diamond like the one that was on her hand. Quickly, she lifted her hand to see that the diamond was still there but that it was no longer black ink, it was her own blood and the diamond was carved into her hand. Cassia panicked. What kind of dream was this?