Chapter 30: Eaven

Once Eaven settled Isabelle in his chambers and encouraged her to sleep off her ordeal, he joined Sarus and Damian in the council room. The shadow man was waiting to be interrogated. He sat, conforming to the orders Damian had planted in his mind, in an old wooden chair, waiting patiently for the first question to be asked. But for all that Damian could make him obey his commands, there was no way to force him to speak the truth. All the same, the old box had been removed from his desk that the smoke would foretell a lie and the scent of flowers the truth.

Question after question, Damian and Eaven found themselves talking over one another, asking what questions were important to them. The shadow man tried to keep track and answer as honestly as he could. He knew the dangers of angering Eaven now. He was unlikely to risk that experience again.

"It is true, Clinton is involved. But it is not what you believe. He does not target Isabelle because of the prophesy that her death will destroy the world." The shadow man, a vampire named Owen began his tale by affirming the guessed the two men had already made, that Clinton was involved and that he was targeting Isabelle. But it was not the story they believed it was and both Damian and Eaven were confused as he continued to explain what his job entailed. "He no more wishes to drive his food source to extinction than you do. What he wishes is power. Absolute power such as the Master has. Clinton covets the rule of all the vampires in the world. He believes that Isabelle's death will grant him that power." He explained, no longer caring of his job, if it put his life at risk.

"I was hired by a man named Armstrong who demanded I kill Isabelle to clean up a mess that should have been taken care of years ago. In the process I would give Clinton the revenge and power he desired." Owen claimed, reminding Damian of the time he had previously interrogated Clinton. He had no doubts that he desired revenge for the fear he had felt that day, but to go through Isabelle and Eaven was taking things too far. Owen continued regardless of the curious look Damian and Eaven shared.

"A witch prophesied when Isabelle was born, that a hybrid would come to Avelina and hear the call for her. When the Haitian Ebben search lycan clans, he also discovered a prophesy foretelling Isabelle's destiny to die and shroud the world in darkness. That also mentioned her love for a hybrid. When the young hybrid was born and news reached Clinton, he began to prepare Isabelle for their meeting." Eaven showed signs of fear when Owen spoke that time. It was all Damian was could to place his hand upon his shoulder and encourage him to wait for the assassin to explain his meaning. He hoped they weren't going to be told that Isabelle had been told who to look for and all the right things to say to make sure he loved her. There was no telling what Eaven would do in the circumstance.

"He sent her to a cottage to live alone, away from the world, knowing nothing of vampires or lycans. When he heard the hybrid had left home a year before his due, he worried. He waited long enough for the hybrid to meet Isabelle and hear the call for her, then he sent me to kill her." What Owen said spoke of truth, but told Damian nothing that made sense. The box had shown each word to be honest as the scent of flowers filled the air. But it didn't made sense for Clinton to target the girl who was his stolen daughter and attempt to seek revenge on Damian through her. She had no connection to him until Eaven had fallen in love with her and had his visions. Why did he think his plan would work?

"Why? What would killing Isabelle accomplish?" He asked, hopeful that something would start to make sense soon. Owen only turned to look at Eaven and smiled as if the answer should have been obvious to them all.

"Clinton knew that killing her would destroy you. Unfortunately, the vampire woman who cared for Isabelle as she grew up, grew too attached to her and put a spell on the house. It meant that as long as Isabelle never left the cottage, she would be protected until her twentieth year. She came of age two nights ago. But the hybrid had already broken the spell. He fell from the sky and Isabelle left the safety of her cottage to save him, thus destroying the protection she was under." Owen surprised Eaven by telling him that his presence, as he had seen in his visions, had indeed led Isabelle to danger.