The Job

"Hey Zoey, don't look so down," my best friend, Alice, was telling me that she would try to help me find a job. That was three weeks ago.

"How can I not be sad Alice. I don't have a job and my parents are getting very annoyed with the fact that I live with them." After losing my job I moved in with my parents and got turned down from every job I applied for. Alice has been trying to help me find a job and I'm very thankful for her.

"Zoey, if you lift your head off that pillow I could tell you something important," she said with enthusiasm. "Its something to do with a job~." My head snapped up from my bed I was laying on. I looked over at Alice who was sitting in my computer desk looking at me with the widest smile. My eyes widened and I sat up on my bed.

"Tell me know," I looked at her intently. She stood up and went to my closet across the room. She opened it and searched for something.

"I'll tell you my secret if~." she pulled pulled out my dress that was tight around my whole body and went above my knees. The dress was cut so that the shoulders would show.

"If what? Its already seven o'clock" I was not feeling so good because I had a feeling on where this was going.

"You go out with me tonight." She smiled and went to the desk chair to lay out my dress. Then she went to the closet again to probably find some shoes with it.

"No," I said right away knowing that the information will probably be useless. It is probably that she found me a job, but knowing me it would be useless once I got to the interview. Alice looked at me and squinted her eyes in anger and frustration.

"You are going!" She said very loudly, almost as if she would kill me if I did not go. "Not only do you stay indoors all day, you don't have a job or a boyfriend," she got up and placed the shoes she found next to the chair.

"Okay, okay. Calm down Alice, I'll go, I'll go." I said reassuringly. Alice took a deep breath and looked at me with a satisfied smile.

"Good, now get in the shower and get this dress on. I'll do your makeup for today, but after the news tonight I think you will be able to stand a little taller than today." She smiled once again and then pushed me into the bathroom down the hall.

After a nice long shower trying to wash every inch of myself. I eventually got out after about a half an hour later. I dried my hair and put on the dress that Alice wanted me to wear. I got out of the bathroom and went back to my room. Alice was sitting in my chair looking at her phone. She looked up from her phone and smiled at me.

She got up from the chair. She smiled at me, "Now come sit and I'll put your makeup on." She walked up to me and pushed me to the chair. I was very unsatisfied with what was about to happen, but she was right. I had not been out of the house for about two weeks now.

----

Once Alice finished my hair and makeup she started to push me out the door. "Hold on Alice I need to grab my purse."

"Okay~," she said annoyed. "But hurry, we're going to be late." I ran up stairs and grabbed my phone. I looked at the time and it was only nine o'clock. I started to walk slowly to where Alice was waiting by the front door.

"Hey, Alice," I said half way down the stairs. "Why are we hurrying its only nine. Most people don't go to a club this early." Now at the bottom of the stairs, I see Alice impatiently tapping her foot. "You're not up to something are you?" I started to wonder.

She looked at me a little shocked and then started to laugh, "You're funny Zoey, I just want to get my groove on." Her laugh started to die out. After that laugh I knew something was up. Alice was very bad at lying especially sense I can read her like a book.

"Alice, where are we going," I said sternly knowing that she would crack if I just put a little force on her.

"Okay okay, you got me. We're not going to a club," she said defeatedly.

"Then where are we going Alice," I said trying to get the secret out of her. There was a very long silence. "Alice, if you don't tell me I will go up stairs and take off all the work you did on my face!"

"Zoey," she looked very concerned. "I can't tell you or..." she paused.

"Or what?" I started to get very angry, but I was concerned that my best friend was in trouble.

"Or... they won't give you the job and... they said that if you don't come then..." she started to hug herself and I walked towards her.

"If I don't come then what?" I said worriedly. "Alice what will they do? Please, tell me Alice." I was now hugging Alice trying to calm her down and comfort her.

"They said that they would never let you get a job or even get a boyfriend," Alice was grabbing my shoulder as I was in shock. "They just confronted me one day and they said they can only have you for the job." She cupped my face. "Hey, at least this way you will get a job and besides they said it was only a simple secretary job." She smiled weakly at me. I got my head together and looked at her.

"Alice, I don't think this will be some simple job if they want only me for it." I griped my purse tightly and opened the door. "Take me to the meeting place, I think I have an interview to get to." I smiled at Alice who knew that I wouldn't let anyone push me around. She knew right when she saw my face that I would find a way around this situation, and she smiled back at me.

In about an hour Alice stopped in-front of a gigantic office building, I took a deep breath. "Zoey, are you ready," I looked at her and smiled.

"I'm ready for anything."