Johnny Claus?

I take a deep breath and adjust my bright colored clothes before entering Zhong Chenle's house. The feeling of relief washes over me as I enter the house and see that no one is around. Though, the fireplace is lit and the multicolored Christmas lights are on, there are even some cookies and milk near their Christmas tree. My stomach rumbles at the sight of it.

I take a few steps towards the cookies and eat some. They were really good. The cookies were soft and chewy, still a bit warm. I finish the cookies with some milk and feel myself be full. I pat my belly and rummage through the sack I'm carrying.

I fish out the large carefully wrapped box out of the sack and place it under Chenle's tree, careful not to make any disturbance. I smile at the thought of the little boy seeing his favorite gift laid out for him the next morning and seeing him smile.

Feeling content, I turn around and head towards the nearest exit, eager to give more little kids the gift they want, that is until my foot got caught in some of the Christmas wires, enabling me to trip and make a huge thudding noise that could be heard throughout the house. I curse myself for my incompetence and hurry on my way out, anxious.

"Santa?"

"Shit." I mutter under my breath. I turn around and see little Chenle at the bottom of the stairs, rubbing his left eye, a sign that he had been awakened by the ruckus that I caused.

"Uh, hi. That's me, ho ho ho?" I greet, smiling at him, unsure of what to say.

"But you don't look like him." He said, confusion painting across his little face. He proceeds to sit down on the brown leather couch from across the stairs and Christmas tree and I join him.

"That's right, I don't. But I'm still Santa Claus, though." I explained, hoping he would understand. As much as I love children, I don't have time to stay and talk with Chenle as I have other deliveries to do.

"No you're not." He retorts, making space between me and him.

"You're tall, thin and young and handsome. Santa's supposed to be small, fat, and old. Plus, you don't even have a beard!" He continued.

I really should've worn the fake beard the elves gave me shouldn't I? I sigh in defeat. There's really no reasoning with little children, is there?

I put my hands on his shoulders and look into his brown eyes.

"Believe it or not, buddy, I am Santa Claus. At least for now. You're right, I'm not fat and old, but my grandpa, the real Santa Claus is." I say, shifting in my seat.

"But what happened to the real Santa Claus?" Chenle questioned, curiosity present in his eyes.

I frown as I remember my grand dad back at the north pole, lying on his bed with a wet towel on his forehead.

"He's sick right now, you see. I'm here to replace him while he's sick, but don't worry, he'll come back." I reassured, patting his shoulder gently.

Chenle nods and smiles.

"Okay, I understand. But did you bring the present I asked you for?"

I chuckle at what Chenle says and nod eagerly.

"Of course I did, I'm Santa, after all."

“That’s awesome, thank you so much!” He replies, happiness obvious in his face.

“You’re welcome, buddy.” I say, smiling at him.

Chenle’s face lightens up, he stands up and hurriedly takes my left hand and leads me to what seems like the kitchen. Like the living room, the kitchen was covered in Christmas ornaments and lights. This family seems to really love Christmas. I can see Chenle take something out of the fridge, he sets it on the counter and takes a mug and a small Christmas themed plate.

Chenle turns his head towards me and motions for me to sit on the chairs near the counter.

“You must be really hungry from all that gift giving, Santa… Can I call you that?” He looks at me for approval and I nod my head, smiling. “Okay so, we still have leftover cookies, that I baked just for you. Well, it's not really leftover cause these are my cookies that I was going  to bring for school, but I'll give them to you instead.” He continues, grinning at me.

“Chenle… I really appreciate it, but I'm on a time limit and I don't think I can eat your cookies, they're yours, after all.  If it makes you feel better, I did eat the cookies you set out for me earlier, they were delicious.”  My heart aches at the sight of Chenle suddenly frowning and looking down as if he was embarrassed. I pull up my sleeves to reveal the small watch I was wearing and realize that I may or may not have time to eat cookies with him. I don't want to see any little kid sad, what was the purpose of giving Christmas gifts if they weren't happy?

I pat Chenle's shoulder and smile at him.

“I think I can spare a bit of time to eat them with you. After all, I'm not Santa if I don't eat cookies and milk, am I right?”

Chenle's face brightens up at what I told him and it immediately makes me feel relieved. He pours me a glass of milk from the fridge and takes the familiar looking Christmas themed cookies he had baked just for me. My heart is warmed at the gesture. The little illustrations and messy frosting design of Santa and reindeer cookies make me giggle with joy.

“They're cute, right?”

I nod eagerly and take a bite of the sweet sugar cookies.

In front of me, Chenle rests his left hand on top of the counter and leans his head on it. He was looking at me with curiosity and it made me slightly uneasy. I think I know where this is going.

“So, do you guys really have small elves do your work for you? Isn’t that like slavery?” Chenle inquires, making me slightly choke on the milk I was drinking.

“Well no, they’re not slaves. They volunteer themselves to help because they want little kids like you to be happy.” I answer hesitantly.

Chenle nods his head.

“Okay, next question. Will Santa Clause cease to exist?”

My eyes widen at the question. I’ve never met a kid that has asked me things like these before.

“Uh, well, it depends, really.” I fidget as I answer his question. It feels like I’ve been put on a hot seat in an interview show right now.

“Depends?” He urges for me to answer the question.

“Depends on if kids will always believe in Santa. We’re kinda like fairies, you know. We need people to believe in us in order for us to exist. Otherwise, there’ll be no Santa. That’s why when you have kids, you should tell them about Santa, alright?”

Chenle smiles at me warmly.

“Of course I will. Who else would give my future little kids gifts? Cause I certainly won’t. We would need to save money if we want to be rich.” He replies.

I shake my head in disbelief at what Chenle said, he was always a clever little kid. I remember grandpa’s laughter filling up the letter room when he read his letter. His smile was almost up to his ears and his eyes turned into small crescents. According to him, Chenle tried to bribe him with “More cookies and milk than any little child and parent on his list could offer.” It was what made my grandpa happy even through his sickly state.

A few more questions later about Santa and his factory, I told Chenle that it was time to go. I will never forget the time I’ve spent with the cute little boy.  He had a sullen look on his face, but I knew he understood that I had other places to be and more toys to deliver to children all over the world.

“You be careful on the way out, okay? It’s snowing and I don’t want you to slip on the ice and fracture your head.” He said, with a concerned tone, holding my hand on the way out.

“Don’t worry, I will. Santa still has to deliver you and many other kids gifts in the future. He wouldn’t wanna get in an accident.” I reassured, squeezing his small hand.

Chenle smiles and hugs me tightly and I hug him back.

“Good bye. I’ll miss you, Santa.” He mumbles.

“Me too, Lele, me too.”

//
Y'all I apologize for not posting as much.