// chapter nine //

"...I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." - John Green

Chapter 9

SHIELD Hellicarrier, 2012

Steve

I wandered the halls aimlessly with heavy footsteps. There was nothing for me to do around here. We already have Clint, and Fury won't allow the Avengers team to pitch in on the search for Thor and Banner. Nor will he let us look for Charity. But that doesn't mean I'm going to listen to him.

It would be the first time I had ever disobeyed orders given to me from someone in a higher rank than I, but I already thought this through and I plan on trying to find Charity.

Although I don't have a clue how.

Turning the corner, I accidentally ran into a petite figure, and a warm liquid soaked my plain shirt. I looked up from my shirt, smiling when I saw Shayla standing there with an empty mug in her hand.

"Steve! I am so sorry!" she rushed, dabbing at my shirt.

I laughed at her, pushing her arm away from my chest. "It's fine, Shay. I'm okay. But how are you? Did I hurt you?"

She met my eyes, a smile spreading across her face. "No, no you didn't. But it looks as if I need to get more coffee."

"Allow me to assist you," I said, already walking beside her down the hallway to the cafeteria. A light pink flushed her cheeks.

"Thanks Steve," she mumbled, "but I think I can get my own coffee."

"Yes, but can you keep it in the cup?" I teased, gesturing to my soaked shirt.

Her blush deepened and she let out a nervous chuckle. "You know, this would be really cliché if the tables were turned and I had coffee on me."

I nodded. "You're right. Too bad I don't drink coffee."

She looked up at me with wide eyes, as if she was questioning my sanity. "How can you survive without coffee? Are you human?"

"More or less."

We reached the double doors to the small lunch room, and I opened one of them to let Shay in. She thanked me and made a beeline straight to the coffee machine.

I took a seat at one of the round tables and watched her pour the grounded coffee into the top. When she began to add water, I started thinking about her black hair.

If her sister had a white piece because of a certain power, then is there a power that Shay possesses and she's just not telling us? If that's the case, why is she hiding it from us? What could it possibly be? Is it so bad that she can't talk about it?

I hadn't realized that I was thinking for so long until I was brought back into reality by Shay, who was taking a seat across from me. She sipped her coffee, glancing up at me through her eyelashes.

Her eyes are mesmerizing.

"Steve?" she said. "What is it you're thinking about?"

How beautiful your eyes look.

Shut up, Steve! Don't think like that!

You better say something, she's staring at you.

"Uh, I was just thinking about a friend of mine." Nice cover up.

She nodded, sipping her coffee again. Clearing her throat, she asked, "who is this friend of your's?"

"Her name is Charity," I replied. "She was with Loki when he escaped. I don't know where she is."

Shay looked down at her lap, her black lock falling in front of her eyes. Don't you dare ask her about it, Steve. That's rude and you'd be intruding on her life.