Chapter 1

A/N: Finally, here it is :D

She opened the wooden box gingerly with an old, slightly rusted key, the key she had always kept with her. It was just a simple, yet detailed, box, in a shade of pure chesnut colour with flecks of gold highlighting the intricate edges of the carvings on it. It was the last gift that he had given her before he left. The one she will always treasure, forever. Inside it, for now, were sheets of yellowed, crinkly paper. Manuscripts, with scribbles all around the musical notes. She stared at them for a moment as a cold, clear tear slid down her pale, heart-shaped face. Why did he have to leave?

"It just isn't fair!" she cried out, slamming the box closed roughly, and sank to the ground, the myraid of tears finally let loose.

The door opened, and a tall, slim woman stepped into the attic, concern etched across her smooth face, wearing a long, glittery dress that fitted her figure, a purse clutched in her hand.

"Roxanne? What are you doing here? Don't you have homework to do?"

"Yeah, mum, I'll finish it later."

"Okay then, hun, but you really shouldn't spend too much time here, you know."

"I don't care, okay?"

"I know you miss him. We all do. But he'll be back, Roxy, don't you worry about that."

"How would you know that for sure?" she pressured.

"We have to hope," her mother said softly, and walked out, slowly closing the door behind her.

***

"Roxanne, can you please show your answer to question 16(b) on the board?"

I blinked my eyes at the teacher, waking up from recalling what happened last night in the attic, and gave an innocent smile.

"I can't, teacher."

"Why not?" She narrowed her eyes at me, and I groaned internally.

"Because someone else already answered it."

She turned around. My best friend, Josh, had already written the answer, in addition to the question he was asked to write earlier. He winked at me. I mouthed a quick 'thanks' in return.

Just then, the bell rang. Thank the heavens for that. I quickly walked out to recess, enjoying the fresh air outside. Josh caught up with my stride a moment after.

"You owe me one, Rox."

I turned to face him, shaking my head.

"Not exactly. Remember when I helped you in that History assignment?"

He rolled his eyes.

"Fine. We're even then."

"Fine."

"Hey, guys, how's it going?"

We turned around towards the newcomers.

"Oh, hey, Alex, Ethan," I greeted them, grinning. Alex was this thin, tall, lanky kind of guy, with an air of mysterious-ness around him. Girls think he's a total Taylor Lautner (minus the abs), with his quiet attitude in class and dark, soulful eyes. Ethan, on the other hand, was your typical jock, with him being on the soccer team, always working out, you know. He's still pretty smart for a guy his type, though.

"Where's Kelly?" Ethan immediately asked, looking around for her.

Oh, and he has a massive crush on the fifth member of our gang (and the other girl, besides me) since forever. And I mean, forever.

"Off with Caine," I replied to him, smiling apologetically. Caine was Kelly's boyfriend for a few months. Sometimes they'll go hiding off during break to God-knows-where to do God-knows-what.

I motioned for Ethan to talk privately. We lagged behind Alex and Josh, who were in quite an animated discussion about something.

"You know you're gonna have to tell her soon, right?" I asked Ethan. Only I knew about his crush so far. Thankfully.

"I know, I know," he grumbled, running a hand through his thick hair. "I just don't want to break her and Caine up because of me, y'know?"

I rolled my eyes. "Look, hun, if she really likes you back, then she'll break up with Caine eventually."

"And if she doesn't?"

"Then move on, Ethan. Don't go around torturing yourself even more."

He sighed heavily, and I couldn't help but laugh. He looked like a poor, sad puppy that got rejected by its owner. Alex and Josh turned.

"What's so funny?" Josh asked, frowning.

"Your face," Ethan cracked, giving me a warning glance. I made a 'whatever' face back. Josh watched our silent conversation with an unreadable expression on his face. What's his problem, anyway?

"So, is tonight still on?" I asked Josh, changing the subject. Ethan gave me a grateful look.

"What about tonight, huh?" Alex teased. "Is there going to be a new scandal to add to 'The Book of Roxanne's Ever-Complicated Love Life'?" He made air quotes with his fingers.

"Oh, please," I retorted. "I have enough rumours to last me a lifetime, trust me."

"Fine, fine. Just chill, Roxy," Alex said, raising his hands and backing off. For a guy who sits in class and ignores everyone, he's actually quite the joker of the group. Surprise, surprise.

"Yeah, you're bringing your laptop, right?" Josh confirmed, looking at me.

"Yup, I've already downloaded that new software thing last night. We can test it later," I grinned.

"And we still don't know what's going on," Alex moaned, in a half sing-song voice.

"Physics project," we both said, in unison. The guys continued to look suspicious. I ignored them and went to grab something to eat before Calculus class. Why do I even take these kind of subjects in the first place?

A/N: I can't really judge how long a chapter's gonna be, though, cause all this time I've been reading Wattpad stories from my phone, and I update using my laptop, so yea :) I'll get the hang of it sooner or later. I hope. *crosses fingers*