Chapter 27: Dumbledore's Army, Still Recruiting

Start from the beginning

Neville knew she was right. These were the very things that he had been telling himself, too. He just felt like they were missing something. So, Malfoy had done all of these terrible things. Perhaps, he just needed to someone to be there for him. Neville had grown up with Malfoy, something neither of them ever mentioned. He, too, did come from a pure blooded family. He knew how terrible of a man Lucius Malfoy could be to his son, was it any wondered that this was who he had become?

But Ginny was right. One good act didn't atone for the seven years of torture he had inflicted upon them. So, Neville pushed the idea from his mind. Malfoy would just tell the Carrows about the D.A.

A few days later, in Muggle Studies, Alecto started talking about how the savage Muggles had to form what they called electricity to make up for their lack of magical abilities. She then proceeded to explain how these savage creatures were idiotic, thick headed and deserved to have the Wizarding World rule over them. "Squibs, too," Alecto stated. "Squibs are just Muggles trying to be wizards and witches."

Neville had always thought that he was the closest thing a wizard could get to a Squib. That thought had always made him feel more understanding and caring towards Squibs. He was seriously considering speaking his mind again in the class. He needed to stand up for what was right. But before he could say anything, a voice from behind him said, "You only feel that way because you are one." What was Malfoy doing? He wanted to know.

Immediately, Alecto looked over in Neville's direction. "Who said that!" she demanded to know. No one answered. But Alecto wasn't backing down. "Was it you, Longbottom?" she wanted to know. Neville shook his head.

"It was me," Malfoy said loudly. Alecto looked at passed Neville at Malfoy, curiously.

"Malfoy?" Alecto said disbelievingly. Neville glanced behind him at Malfoy. The blonde was lounging in his chair, completely disinterested in what was happening around him. "You said that I was Squib?"

"It was me," Neville said boldly. It was the least he could do for Malfoy not ratting him out. He definitely didn't want the detention that was sure to follow, but he probably would have gotten it anyway, if Malfoy hadn't gotten there first.

"Then why did Malfoy say that he had done it." Neville shrugged.

"We're friends now." Alecto glared at him, not believing Neville one bit.

"Well, if you're such good friends, then you'll both enjoy detention with me tonight after dinner."

Both Malfoy and Neville were prompt to their detention. Alecto looked positively pleased when they walked through the door. "I've had an idea, Longbottom. I know I can cast a fairly nice Cruciatus Curse. But what about Draco? He needs to learn how to as well, don't you, Malfoy?"

"Where are you going with this, Alecto?" Malfoy asked uneasily.

"You're going to practice the Cruciatus Curse on Longbottom."

"And if I refuse?" Malfoy said quietly. He looked smaller than Neville had ever seen him before. Alecto barked out into laughter. She began walking around them as she spoke.

"Then, I'll chain you to the wall over there. And I'm sure your mother would love to hear of another failure by you, Malfoy." She took a seat at her desk, an evil smirk on her face. "This is easier than killing. So, I'm sure you'll be able to do it."

Malfoy looked terrified and unsure of what to do as he faced Neville. He should have just stayed silent in class, he thought. Then, Malfoy wouldn't be faced with this impossible decision. "Well, get on with it," demanded Alecto.

Neville nodded encouragingly to Malfoy. He wasn't afraid of the pain that would come. He had felt it before and he was certain to feel again. Shakily, Malfoy raised his wand. "Crucio!" he shouted.

Light in the DarknessOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara