Annotated Bibliography

Cartledge, Paul. Democracy: A Life. Oxford University Press, 2016.

Cartledge provides information on the ancient political system, also comparing ancient and modern forms of democracy. Cartledge examines how democracy surveys the emergence of Greek politics, political theory, and the birth of democracy. Cartledge thoroughly examines Greek democratic practices and how it can be compared to modern democratic practices. I hope to grasp concepts of Greek politics and the birth of democracy, and what initially led Greek democracy to emerge.

Manville, Phillip Brook. Origins of Citizenship in Ancient Athens. Princeton University Press,

2014.

Intended to make a general contribution to audiences interested in democratic society, of which Ancient Athenian citizenship is a classic case. Brook also discusses the rise and development of Athenian polis and citizenship. Brook also attempts to demonstrate the effects of Athenian democracy on modern democracy as well. I hope to gather information on the democratic society in Athens and how it was formed.

Pritchard, David M. War, Democracy, and Culture in Classical Athens. Cambridge University

Press, 2014.

Pritchard examines the impact of Athenian democracy and the extent to which they were responsible for the Athenians record of military innovation and success. I feel this book will be most helpful, because what I am initially trying to convey is the idea of Athenian success of Democracy based on what they did to become successful. The cause of Athenian democracy is my angle, not the impact, which is partly what Pritchard is providing.

Sternberg, Rachel Hall. Pity and Power in Ancient Athens. Cambridge University Press, 2012.

Sternberg truly grasps the idea of Athenian moral discomfort in terms of their empire and politics. Seen in Ancient Greece, tyranny was quite common due to the many who felt unsatisfied with the way things ran, which is the basis of what I am trying to examine in terms of Athenian democracy origins. I feel that Sternberg's conception of moral discomfort in Ancient Athens is exactly what I am trying to convey for the reasoning behind the birth of Athenian democracy.

Woodruff, Paul. First Democracy: The Challenge of an Ancient Idea. Oxford University Press,

2006.

Woodruff examines the ideas of democracy, regarding its origin, what it means, and how it relates to modern politics. Woodruff divulges readers into the world of Ancient Athens to discover how the birth of democracy truly came about. I hope to uncover the same truth, of how democracy was born in Greece, and how it affected Athens.