Cleisthenes "Father of Athenian Democracy"

Cleisthenes was an aristocratic leader, fighting amongst another aristocratic clan. To gain success, he brought the people on his side; giving them the democratic reforms they wanted, in return they gave him the power he wanted. His power was able to replace aristocratic rule with elected leadership as the people wished. In return, the people adopted a new voting district system, which corresponded well with Cleisthenes because his clan could control them. This organization held ten tribes, all of which were equally represented in courts and councils. This reform also expanded citizen base, adding new voters and a better military organization. He also established a council of five hundred members chosen by the ten tribes. By doing this, Cleisthenes also introduced ostracism (losing politicians could be banished temporarily by popular vote). Cleisthenes purpose of this was to save Athens from rivalries among powerful leaders, ultimately creating the foundation of Athenian democracy by making citizens the most powerful part of the government rather than Aristocrats, which were no longer the ruling class.

While Athens tried choosing between power, it eventually, unwillingly and undoubtedly attempted the creation of a democracy. "In Athens, democracy gave power to the people-including a majority of people who were poor and had to work for a living" (Woodruff 24).  

Ancient Athenian Lawgiver (508-507 B

Ancient Athenian Lawgiver (508-507 B.C.) Also known as the "Father of Athenian democracy"