Chapter 26: A Reputation to Uphold

Start from the beginning

"Sorry?" Runcorn answered stupidly. The man was a coward.

"Don't pretend, Runcorn," Arthur said fiercely, determined to say this. "You tracked down the wizard who faked his family tree, didn't you?"

"I-so what if I did?" Runcorn said. Runcorn looked nervous. That nervousness made Arthur feel bold and courageous.

"So, Dirk Cresswell is ten times the wizard you are," Arthur said. "And if he survives Azkaban, you'll have to answer to him, not to mention his wife, his sons, and his friends-"

"Arthur," interrupted Runcorn, "you know you're being tracked, don't you?"

"Is that a threat, Runcorn?" Arthur returned. Of course, he knew that. He didn't need the scum of the earth to tell him that.

"No," Runcorn hastily. "It's a fact! They're watching your every move-"

The doors to the lift opened. They reached the Atrium. Arthur sent his best glare at Runcorn and exited the lift, happily leaving the man alone.

The rest of the day, Arthur worked at his desk, tiredly. He had heard a murmur that someone had freed all of the Muggle-borns being held in the courtrooms. Arthur wasn't sure who that was, he had a lot of respect for whoever it was. They had done something amazing for the Muggle-born population.

Fred and George were lounging about in the kitchen when Arthur finally returned home. Molly was hastily getting dinner ready for them. He would certainly not tell his wife about seeing Percy in the lift. It would only make he worry and cause her to be sad. He rarely told her if he did see his son. Periodically, she would ask if he had seen Percy. Arthur would lie every time. "Hello, Molly," he greeted.

"Oh, Arthur," she sighed. "I'm glad you're home!" He sighed. How many times did he tell her to verify if it was him or not. Seeing the look on his face. She looked embarrassed and glanced at their sons.

"Molly," he persisted.

"Oh fine, what do I like you to call me when we're alone."

"Mollywobbles." Fred and George made gagging noises. "Oh, hush."

"Hello, Fred. Hello, George."

"You're right, Freddie," George said. "Your name does always come first. Why is that, d'you reckon?"

"It's like counting down. Two ears, one ear," Fred answered before turning to his dad excitedly. "Did you see them, Dad?"

"See who?" Arthur returned, taking the seat beside them at the table. George handed him the night edition of The Daily Prophet. It detailed how Harry Potter had been spotted inside the Ministry of Magic. The article held many different theories as to why he would have been there. Though, what caught Arthur's eye was the photo of Harry, Reginald Cattermole, and Mafalda Hopkirk leading the Muggle-borns from Ministry.

Before he could help himself, Arthur burst into laughter. "What did we do with all of that extra Polyjuice Potion, Alastor had?"

"Hermione took it," Fred answered. "Said they might need it." This caused Arthur to bark out another loud laugh.

"Honestly, Arthur! What is so funny?" Molly wanted to know.

"I wasted a perfectly good speech on Harry Potter!" he exclaimed. "And I was in the lift with Reginald Cattermole, I thought he was acting strange, he nearly called me dad! My own son was in the lift with me and I didn't know!" He showed the picture to Molly.

"Why would Reginald Cattermole be with Harry Potter? I bet you anything it Ron. Hermione must have been impersonating Mafalda, she's too timidly to try and help Harry. And look at what Harry's wearing! He must have been Albert Runcorn the whole time!"