Chapter Ten - The Bet

Comincia dall'inizio

"Thanks, you do too. I love the tags." She said, pointing at the thin metal slabs hanging from the chain on his neck.

He smiled. "Yeah, well, you can thank Jack for that. He gave them to me this morning."

She nodded, and glanced down at his wrist, which was still bandaged. Actually, his entire arm was. "Do they still hurt?"

He shook his head. "No, not at all. I was thinking about taking them off tonight, and leaving them off."

She nodded again. "I think you should. If they don't hurt anymore then they'll probably just be scars after today.

He smiled. "Thank you for helping me, by the way. I don't think I could wrap and re-wrap myself every day without your help." He chuckled.

She smiled. "Your welcome."

He looked at her for a moment, then smiled back. "We should probably get going."

She nodded, and exited the apartment, going to shut the door behind her. Her hand touched Murphy's, who had gone to shut the door for her. She smiled at him, and he closed the door.

They walked to the elevator, taking the seventeen floors down to the ground level. He led her out to the parking lot, where many of the teenagers had cars parked there. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Why are we here?"

He smirked at her, pulling keys out of his pocket and spinning them around on his finger. "Do you wonder where I've been for the past three days? Jack taught me how to drive."

"You learned how to drive in three days?" She asked, surprised.

"I'm a fast learner. That, and Jack is a good teacher."

She nodded. "Well, let's just hope that you're a good enough driver that you don't crash us into a tree."

"Don't get your hopes up." He chuckled.

Murphy walked to the truck, a grin on his face. He opened the passenger door, smiling at her and bowing slightly while still holding it open. “Your carriage awaits, milady.” He said, attempting at using an extremely deep voice.

She laughed, climbing into the truck and going onto the seat. “Please be careful.”

He chuckled, shutting the door and smiling at her through the open window. “Don’t you trust me?”

“I do, it’s Jack’s teaching that I don’t trust.” He laughed in reply, and walked to his side of the truck. He climbed in, and shoved the keys in the ignition. The truck roared to life, and she saw him glance in the mirror, checking that it was in the right position.

Within a few minutes, they were driving through the woods on one of the many paths that Jack and his crew had been developing.