Chapter Ten - The Bet

Start from the beginning

"Sorry to disappoint you, but you're going to have to make other plans for tonight, and without me."

"What makes you say that?"

"I never lose." She smiled deviously.

"Ah! But wait a minute. I haven't said the conditions." She paused, frowning. He hadn't mentioned them at all. "You have to hit the middle of the target, and you have to do it blindfolded."

"Fine." She grumbled, grinding her teeth.

Murphy ran into Jay's shop, coming back with a clean cloth. He wrapped it around her head, covering her eyes.

With that, she raised the bow, setting up the arrow and hoping that she hit the middle. She let the arrow fly, and heard it hit the target with a loud thunk.

He leaned forwards, whispering in her ear. "I win." She could practically hear the smirk on his face, just by hearing the tone in his voice.

She ripped off the blindfold, frowning when she saw that he was right. It had hit the target, but was more than three inches off the middle red dot. "Dammit." She cursed.

"I'll see you tonight, babe." He smirked at her.

"Call me that again at your own risk."

*

Eve stared out the window, watching the sunset admirably. She had always loved her apartment for that reason, it had a gorgeous view. She could see the large pond about a hundred feet away from the building, as well as the many different fields and large amounts of forest area surrounding the colony.

The colony was getting larger with each day that passed. It was constantly growing, with more people, buildings, and land being added to the mix everyday. There had been an extreme population growth in the past year. In October of 2132, the population had been 2,585. Now, almost a year later exactly, it was 2,720. 135 children had been born in the past year. Buildings were added as well, with ten other different houses being built in two years. A few farms had gained a few more acres as well.

By now, the sun was casting an orange and pink shadow across the sky. She remembered the second night Murphy had been at the colony, and had actually been away to see the sun setting. He had looked amazed, he said it looked ten times more beautiful when a bunch of trees weren't in the way.

Eve smiled softly when she heard a knock on the door of the apartment. She was excited for the date, but also slightly nervous. Why exactly did he want to go on a date with her? Was it to prove a point? Maybe just for fun? Who knows.

She walked up to the door, opening it and smiling when she saw Murphy standing there. "Hi."

"Hey, you look great." He grinned at her. She was wearing a white fuzzy sweater and jeans with combat boots, while he was wearing black jeans with a white t-shirt and dog tags that Jack had printed for him. Jack printed dog tags and an I.D. for every member of his team, just so that they could be easily identified. Eve actually liked them a lot.