Chapter 1

Kore sat on a barstool in a quiet corner of one of her sister's clubs, her fingers flying over the keys of her laptop as she worked her way through her latest job

Kore sat on a barstool in a quiet corner of one of her sister's clubs, her fingers flying over the keys of her laptop as she worked her way through her latest job. She occupied a space at the end of the private bar on the second floor; it gave her the opportunity to take a break from her work, have a drink and people watch whenever she wanted to.

The first level was generally filled with the teen brats of rich and powerful socialites who were just shady enough to know about the club, but not shady enough to have access to the second level. Her level was reserved for what some may call the worst of the worst; assassins, spies, hitmen, mafia lieutenants, hackers, people who's morals were generally dictated by money.

That didn't mean they didn't live by a code though. There were neutral grounds, for example, the club she currently resided in. Places where they could come for a meeting, or just to lay low and let go for a bit. No business was allowed in such places, meaning no killing, no hacking and no surveillance of any members present. Those who broke any of those rules were permanently removed.

Kore preferred to stay in these little pockets of security. As a hacker, she had neither the stealth nor the combat training that most spies or assassins had. So she generally stayed in her father's territory.

That had become boring real quick. Sure her father had the biggest territory in the US, but that also came with the biggest target on his back, meaning it would be unnecessarily dangerous for her to travel to other parts even if she did stay in the neutral zones.

So she spent most of her 'off' days in the clubs and hotels owned by her family, observing the multitude of spies, mercenaries, assassins, and fellow hackers pass through. Some she saw again, others she assumed had been killed during one of their missions that took them away from the safe zones. Most didn't know who she was, only a few of the older cliental who'd been around long enough to see her grow up would occasionally recognized her, but generally people left her alone either because they didn't know who she was or because of the multiple bodyguards she usually had around her.

That night was a slow night and Nia was her only bodyguard around, lounging in a corner where she could still keep an eye on Kore in case of trouble. Kore was contemplating retiring to her room in the hotel nearby when her bodyguard practically materialized in the air next to her.

She looked up from her laptop, a little startled, and scanned the room. Her eyes immediately landed on the cause of the tension.

Roman Reigns.

The self-made ruler of the East Coast Underworld, a territory he shared with his twin cousins. He'd been born into the business, his father and uncles had been mercenaries, and his mother had ties to the mafia. As a teenager he clawed his way up the ranks, leaving a long trail of bodies in his wake till he controlled most of the eastern states. After her father, Roman was the most feared crime lord.

A shiver of excitement ran through her as his eyes locked onto her. Roman had been kind of an obsession of hers when she was a teenager; she'd done an excessive amount of research on him and his organization, even going as far as hacking into his system.