Chapter 24: The Fall of the Ministry of Magic

Start from the beginning

"Tell me how to take this pain away," Fred said.

"You can't Fred," she said. "It's just going to hurt for a while." He stroked her hair softly, wishing there was a way to make it better. Fred didn't tell her this, but he greatly admired Hermione's strength. Fred couldn't imagine leaving having his parents forget him in order to protect them. She was the strongest woman he knew. And it made him love her all the more.

"'Mione," he said, "what are you going to do about Hogwarts? I don't- I mean- maybe it's not the best idea to go back, with Dumbledore gone." She hesitated a moment.

"I'm not going back to Hogwarts, Fred," she told him. Fred felt relieved. He couldn't imagine what Hogwarts would be like without Dumbledore. And without Dumbledore, what was to stop He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named from attacking the school? He thought about the Muggle-born he and George had encountered, Christine. Maybe Hermione should get away, too.

"Will you need somewhere to stay?" Fred questioned, knowing his mother would be more than willing to let Hermione stay with them she seemed to hesitate again.

"Fred, I need to tell you something," Hermione then proceeded to tell him about the mission Dumbledore had given him. She didn't know where they were going or when they would be coming back. But without the completion of this task, Voldemort would never be truly gone. Fred stared at her after she had finished, deciding carefully what to say. Finally, his face broke out into a smile.

"Hermione Granger, Savior of the Wizarding World." Hermione smiled a little.

"I think you're confusing me with Harry."

"Trust me, Granger, that's something I'll never do." Hermione rubbed her face, trying to rid the evidence of tears. She handed the cup of tea back to Fred.

"I better go," she stated. "I don't want your mom to be waiting too long for me." Fred nodded. As he stood to take the tea into the kitchen, the door to the flat banged open. George stood in the doorway holding a trunk, three other bags, and Hermione's monstrous cat, Crookshanks in a cage. "Oh, George! You didn't have to carry all of that!"

"She means that literally, Georgie," Fred interjected cheekily. "You are a wizard!" George glared at his brother before handing Hermione her things.

Fred took half of Hermione's things and Apparated to the Burrow. Hermione appeared a moment later. Mrs. Weasley raced out to meet them. She immediately embraced Hermione. "Hello, dear!" she said. "How are you? How are your parents?"

Fred watched a fake smile spread across Hermione's face. And he wished things could have been different for her.

------

Severus Snape kept an uncaring expression on his face as he entered the meeting at Malfoy Manor. "So?" the Dark lord prompted.

"My Lord, the Order of the Phoenix intends to move Harry Potter from his current place of safety on next Saturday, at nightfall." Around him, the Death Eaters fidgeted. All of them gazed at Snape. The Dark Lord's face contorted into a slight resemblance of a smile.

"Good," Voldemort said. "Very good. And this information comes-"

"-from the source we discussed," finished Snape.

"My Lord," interjected Yaxley. All eyes at the table turned to Yaxley. "My Lord, i have heard differently." He paused, waiting for the Dark Lord outrightly at Yaxley's foolishness. "Dawlish, the Auror, let slip that Potter will not be moved until the thirtieth, the night before the boy turns seventeen."

"My source told me that there are plans to lay a false trail; this must be it. No doubt a Confundus Charm has been placed upon Dawlish. It would not be the first time; he is known to be susceptible." Yaxley looked determined.