The Funeral

Bree Higgins got out of the red mustang her father had. She wore a knee length black t shirt dress with black ankle booties. Her wavy blonde hair was pulled back into a messy bun, her childlike face free of makeup.

She was at a funeral for her dad's old basketball coach, but he wasn't just any basketball coach. He was the man that brought four best friend together, and Bree's dad, Marcus was a part of that group.

Bree followed her Dad as he walked over to his old friends. He stopped a few feet away from they as they heard someone say something about no cell phones.

"What no cell phones and  I'm outta here." Marcus said, earning an eye roll from his daughter, although her smile was still evident.

No lie, it was hard living with Marcus Higgins as a father. Constantly drunk, and their house a provident mess, Bree found herself taking care of her father most the time whenever it should be the other way around. She wouldn't change him for the world though. He does what he has to, to make sure she has what she needs, which is more than what her mother did.

All she did was leave.

They all turned around to face the Higgins, Kenny Feder being the first one to speak. "Higgie"

"Who's ready to get their funeral one?" Marcus said while doing an awkward dance move. Bree sent her father a weird glance. Yes she loved him, but the guy was a mess. "I'm sorry death makes me weird."

She rolled her eyes at him before saying.  "Weirder than you already are."

Everyone laughed and they walked over to them. While Marcus greeted his old pals, Bree walked over to a girl that looked around her age, if not younger, but hey, she was just glad she wasn't the only kid there.

"Hey Andre. " Bree said the dark skinned boy standing beside his sister. Andre McKenzie was in many of her classes, and they were good friends. The blonde waved at the younger McKenzie sibling, earning one in return.

Charlotte starting giggling and Bree looked at her confused. She pointed behind her, her laugh still radiating through the air.

Bree turned around to find one of Lenny's kids staring at her. He quickly looked down and Bree giggled, glancing down at the ground. He looked to be  around her age. Her Dad told her there would be a couple kids her age here.

"I'll be right back." Bree told them. They nodded and she walked over to him to tap him on the shoulder. He put his phone away and took off his sunglasses.

"Hey what's up?"

"What's up is that you were staring at me, I mean I know I'm probably the prettiest girl you've ever seen but it's a little much." She clearly joked, and he laughed, "I'm kidding. I'm Bree."

"I'm Greg, this is Keithie," He pointed to his brother that was playing on his phone." And this is Becky." and he pointed to an adorable little girl. She waved at me and Bree waved back happily.

"Ok well I'll cya later Hollywood." Bree said the name with a giggle before she walked back over to Charlotte to see her talking to another girl.

"Oh Bree this is Donna, Donna this is Bree." She introduced the two of them. Bree knew there would be a lot of people she had to meet, and she was fine with it. They both said 'Hi' and shook hands. The three of them got to know each other a little bit until it was time to go inside or the funeral.

The father and daughter sat behind the Feder family. Bree flicked Gred on the ear and he looked around confused. The blonde giggled and he glared playfully at me.

She admitted to herself that she thought he was pretty cute, so a little childish flirting couldn't hurt anything. Bree overheard Mrs. Feder talk to her husband about the lake house they were all staying at for the weekend. Mr. Feder said something about money and Marcus had to butt in on their conversation.

"It's your money, it's his money, it's my money. Let's all put it in a cash pile and split it." He told Roxanne, "Ha ha ha That's a nice hat it brings out the death in the room. I'm sorry i'm nervous, it's a funeral I get weird."

Bree snickered as he got back in his seat. She knew that there would be a lot of people there, but she didn't expect for people to be standing outside.

"Coach Robert 'The Buzzer' Fernando, was a caretaker by proffesion. What a wonderful word that is to describe a fellow man. He truly took care. When Robert knew that his time was short, he told me that there was one specific man he wanted to say to memorialize him. So i'd like to ask Lenny Feder to come up now." The preacher said, starting the service.

Mr.Feder stood up and walked over to the stand, " I'm sorry i'm not prepared at all. I'm very honored that Coach asked me to do this. I also feel terrible, because I haven't seen the Coach in so long and he always wanted me to come to town to see him, I got caught up in what I've been doing and I regret it.I understand that the Saint Martins Championship of 1978 is the only team that Coach ever had and uh that's very impressive, judging from the talent we had to offer. Believe it or not Ravi and Marcus were actually shorter in 1988."

His joke made everyone laugh. Bree could feel the love everyone had for coach Buzzer. He touched a lot of people in the time he was a basketball coach.

"Yeah but they mastered something you never have, they knew how to pass the ball." Mr. Lamonsoff commented which made everyone laugh again.

"Looks like someone has to learn how to pass the Kentucky Fried Chicken." Lennie shot back, continuing to make the people in the funeral home laugh. "I'm kidding i'm kidding. Look we're saying goodbye to a big part of our lifes, all of us, you affected everyone in this room. And um I hope we get to live our lifes like you, have no regrets when lifes final buzzer sounds. So uh let's all bow our heads in silence."

They all bowed their heads and Rob started to sing  Ave Maria to Coach Buzzers portrait. Bree looked around as the rest of The Fab Five, which is what she liked to call them, started laughing silently. She put her hand over her mouth to contain her laughter, but it wasn't working as well as she hoped. Rob got on one knee and she saw Mr. McKenzie give Mr. Feder five dollars. Rob finished and Marcus made the sound a buzzer does which of course caused everyone to laugh.

"Grow up will ya?" Rob said walking off the stage.

-

After the funeral Bree sat on a bench with Roxanne, Kurt, and Mr. and Mrs. Lamonsoff. She was talking to Becky.

"What's your favorite animal?" She asked in her adorable high voice.

"I kinda like lions. Mainly because they're my zodiac animal." She told her.

"I like monkeys." She said, making Bree giggle. Bean came over saying he wanted milk. Mrs. Lamonsoff pulled down her shirt and started breast feeding him, Mr. McKenzie scooted away from her and Bree covered Becky's eyes and looked away.

"Your son is so cute. Um how old is he?" Mrs. Feder asked.

"Oh forty eight months. " Mr. Lamonsoff told her. Bree didn't understand why he couldn't just say four. Maybe it was just a grown up thing.

"That's four." Mr. McKenzie voiced out her thoughts.

He muttered "Yeah."

"We meant to stop last year, but he likes it so much and we don't like to say no." Mrs. Lamonsoff told them, making Bree grimace at the image.

Donna walked by eating a piece of cake with her hands and Mrs. Lamonsoff asked her if she would use a fork, but she screamed 'No' a few times and stomped away.

"Looks like she didn't get the memo." Mr. McKenzie said and Bree snickered. It was nothing against Donna, Bree actually liked the girl, but his joke was funny.

Edited 1/6/19