CHAPTER 5

As Terrell walked to the phones, he fought back the overwhelming fear that maybe he'd been forgotten. He knew all too well the curse of time. The saying, "Out of sight, out of mind" was too real, but he was still anxious to hear his mother's voice. He picked up the phone hoping she was even home. His hand shook a bit as he held the phone to his ear.

"Mommy," he said, like a lost toddler rushing into his mother's arms.

"Terrell?"

Her tone was so soft and genuine. He savored it, wanting to never again forget his mother's voice. "Mom how you doing?"

His mother let out the most beautiful laugh, "Oh my Lord!" she shouted as if she'd just won the lottery. "My child's on the phone!"

As soon as she said that, so many voices took over, he could barely hear his mother. "Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm doing good. I'm alright. I'm holding it down," he kept saying.

Terrell's heart filled with joy as he could hear all of the commotion going on over him. Maybe the love hadn't been lost. Maybe he hadn't been forgotten."

"Are you doing alright, ma? How you been feeling?"

"Oh. My body's been getting old that's all," she said. "But God's taking care of me."

Her voice sounded so good to him, so happy. "Ma. Is Khalil over there?" he asked.

"No, son. And you best call him KG or he'll have a fit."

Terrell smiled.

"That boy. He probably over some hussy's house. You can try his mom," she said. "Are they treating ya right?"

"Yeah. But I don't have much time. I want to use a couple of my minutes to catch up with KG. And my baby Cathy and Queen."

"Well I don't know about your wife," his mother said, with great sarcasm. "From what I hear, she done moved on," she said. "Son. I told you she wasn't no good."

Terrell caught himself pausing. "Moved on? With who?" His heart dropped as her words hit his heart. "I love you mom."

"Do you really have to go. I haven't talked to my son in so long. You always rushing me—"

"Yeah ma. I gotta go. I love you too, but I'll call you back later!"

Terrell hung up the phone and couldn't dial his wife's phone number fast enough. He hoped it was the right number and that it hadn't been disconnected or she hadn't changed it. He hoped she'd just pick up the phone.

The phone rang and rang. Each ring bringing him closer and closer to wanting to crack the phone against the brick wall. The waiting was eating away at his strength. He stood up to keep from losing it, and pacing around as far as the short cord would allow him helped him ease the stress.

"Queen," he said, as soon as he heard a breath. "What the fuck you doing?" Terrell yelled. He didn't mean to yell at her. He had no idea where those words had come from.

She breathed a sigh and then a deep voice from afar drew closer. It was a man. It was another man, he thought. . Hearing a man's voice felt worse than when he'd gotten stabbed in the chest. He could barely breathe. Another man had taken his wife.

"Who is that?" Terrell yelled.

"Who the fuck are you?" The man yelled back.

Terrell could tell someone had grabbed the phone. He could hear the shuffling, the hesitation from his wife. "Who the fuck is this?" He yelled. He'd tightened his grip around the phone and was ready to jump through if necessary.

"Man. You keep talking to my mother like you ain't got no mothafuckin sense-"

Terrell went silent as he eased down to the ground. For once, he was speechless. A tear came tumbling down as he leaned his head against the brick wall. He covered his face with his shirt.

"Hello!" KG yelled. "Bitch asses scared now!"

"Son," Terrell whispered. "Son. It's me."

KG fell silent. "Terrell?"

Another tear fell down Terrell's face as he heard his son call his name. He couldn't wipe the tears fast enough. "I missed you son."

KG didn't say anything. He wasn't jumping for joy. He wasn't asking questions. He was just quiet. Terrell couldn't understand why.

"I need you to find a way to see me," Terrell said. "I need to see you, son. I love you."

There was still silence over the phone until the operator interrupted. "You have one remaining minute."

"Where's your sister? How is she doing?"

"She in Daytona with Unc."

"She what?" he said standing up to his feet. "What the fuck?"

And the phone went dead.

Terrell closed his eyes holding the phone up to his chest. That was the closest he'd been to his family in years and just hearing their voices brought on so many different emotions, he didn't know how to process it.

Talking to his mother brought great joy to him, almost cussing his own son out made him laugh, finding out his wife had left him hurt, but what really got him to thinking was why his daughter was going out of town with his brother. He'd trusted his brother, but that was wild, out of character for him. He hadn't sent him any letters, put any money on his books and brushed every attempt Terrell had of contacting him. So much had changed. And now instead of feeling overjoyed about connecting with his family, he now felt powerless. The only thing he could do was sit and wait. Wait for his next phone call. Wait to talk to his brother about his case, but most importantly, about why his little princess is in Daytona.