Across the street was Ben and Lashonda. They were exiting a bar, and Ben waved when he spotted Danny. Danny muttered under his breath, "Please don't come over here..." Which is exactly what they did.

He let go of Steve's hand, but Steve said, "It's too late, Danny. He already saw us," and he took Danny's hand again. He smiled at him and murmured, "Be brave."

Danny almost snatched his hand back, but he hesitated. Steve wasn't gripping him tightly. He could've drawn away if he wanted. The choice was his. Steve was right, though. They'd already been seen holding hands, coming out of the gay cafe. It was too late to hide now.

Ben glanced at their joined hands, only briefly, and he said, "Hey guys, how's it going?"

Lashonda grinned at them both and said, "Hey, guys."

Danny's voice wavered as he said, "Hey, Lashonda, Hey, Ben."

Steve said, "We're good. Just grabbing some late night coffee. How about you two?"

Ben said with a crooked smile, "It's our second date."

Lashonda asided to Danny, "It's going well. I think I"m going to keep him."

Danny grinned, relaxing a little. Lashonda had a smile that put him at ease. Still,some anxiety remained, so he said to Ben, "Hey man, when you talk to your dad..."

Ben waved a hand and said, "It's nobody's business, man."

Danny sighed with relief, then said, "Thanks. That's a load off my mind."

Steve smiled at Danny. "See? You can trust your friends."

Lashonda shrugged and said, "Hell, I'm bi. My folks don't know."

Ben nodded and added, "Love is love, man."

The two couples chatted a bit longer over a little bit of this and that. As they parted ways, Steve and Danny walked hand and hand toward the bus that would take them back to campus. No one else knew Danny from home, so what did it matter? The cat was out of the bag. It was simultaneously thrilling and terrifying.

On the bus, Steve stole a kiss, and Danny leaned into it until a voice behind them said, "Get a room."

Danny looked up, tense. Steve glanced over and grinned. "Hey, man, what's up?"

It was just another one of Steve's many friends. While they chatted, Danny relaxed.

The walk back to the dorm was filled with talking and laughter. Danny got to know Steve so much better that night, through his friends and through talking about every little dumb thing, like which flavor of ice cream was the best (Steve was a Rocky Road guy, Danny was pistachio all the way).

When they got back to the dorm room, the moment the door was closed, Danny kissed Steve desperately. They tugged at each others' clothes, fumbling and laughing between kisses until they were both undressed. Then they fell to Steve's bed, their hands all over one another.

"What do you want to do?" Steve murmured as he slid his hand along Danny's thigh.

Danny had never had another man see him fully naked outside of a locker room, and the excitement of it all was painfully obvious. He tried to be subtle about his arousal but it was right there. Steve wasn't helping as he coaxed with soft, teasing touches. Danny bit his lip, then said, "Let's go all the way."

Steve leaned over and pawed open his nightstand drawer. "Here we go." he said, withdrawing a condom. The sight of it made what was about to happen so real for Danny. It was a little intimidating. "It's okay, I'm clean," he said.

"So am I," Steve said, "but safety is a good habit to get into." He grinned. "Want to put it on me? It'll be fun."

He handed the packet over and Danny tore it open clumsily. He wasn't even sure what a condom was outside of rumors because his parents excused him from sex ed in school. He looked it over. The lube at the tip squished in his fingers, and he wrinkled his nose. It wasn't unpleasant, just strange.

Luckily, it also wasn't rocket science, and it didn't take him long to figure it out. He held it by the tip, then placed it over the top of Steve's manhood. Steve murmured, "There you go, you got this." Danny rolled it on, giving it a stroking to make sure it was secure, which made Steve groan with lust.

Steve then produced from the nightstand a bottle of something called Astroglide. "We'll be using a lot of this," he said. "Is the door locked?"

Danny got up to check it, then nodded. "It is now." He came back to bed and laid down, awkward as he tried to figure out where he should be.

Steve guided him to lay on his back, and he said, "This is going to hurt, and I'm sorry about that, but we'll take it slow.

He took it slow, but it still hurt. Danny whimpered and clung to him harder. "I'm sorry, sweetheart," he murmured. "I'll stop if you want me to."

Danny shook his head. "No, don't stop." Even though it was painful, and he felt like he was burning inside, he had a deep, driving need to have this.

Steve's tenderness made the going slow, but eventually the pain subsided, and they moved together, Danny on his back and Steve on top. The bedsprings squeaked as they made love, and they laughed together quietly, taking things easy so the noise wouldn't wake the neighbors or rouse the RA's suspicions.

With the pain subsided, it felt so good. This was the feeling he knew would come, in his gut, when he winced and whimpered through the pain. He murmured to Steve, "You can do it harder now." That got a moan from him, and he complied.

When Steve leaned back and curled a hand around Danny's shaft, he knew he was going to finish. He threw his head back and bit his lip to muffle his moans. It came swiftly, leaving him writhing and panting Steve's name. Steve followed soon after. He collapsed upon Danny, both of them breathing raggedly and clinging to each other.

Danny kissed Steve wearily. It was a pleasant tiredness. He wanted to fall into Steve's arms and doze off, which is exactly what he did once Steve got rid of the condom. Steve gathered him close, kissed his hair, and did the same.

~ ~ ~

Danny woke up in the morning with Steve's arms around him. It was eight, and he didn't have class until ten, so he snuggled in close. Then his phone vibrated, and he grabbed it off the floor. It had blown up with calls from home. The call coming in was from his father.

With a familiar sense of dread he felt whenever talking to his dad, Danny answered the phone. "Hey, Dad, what's up?"

His father's voice was cool and painfully polite. "We know about your perversion. Pack your things, you're coming home from that school. We'll be there tomorrow."