Chapter 3

I sat calmly on the clean, sparkling white sofa sipping my hot tea.

“So, was today fun?” Mum’s voice was like most the things she owned- elegant and faultless.

What was she expecting of my answer. She knew I never spoke about school at home.

“Fine” I muttered as my lips slipped back into the glass.

Mum began to grown on, something about my carelessness to school and was it affecting my schoolwork and studies.

I was this ugly, clumsy, stupid gazelle and mum was this swan/ stork hybrid. She was a mother who cared for her daughter a lot (no matter how stupid) so she was a stork but also a swan because of her amazing neatness.

I’d finished my tea, so put it carefully down on mum’s placemat- cautious not to spill anything.

“Love, are you ok? You know about everything.” She looked at me, concerned.

“I’m fine”

I left the room then. You see, I had to; I couldn’t stand another one of these conversations about me and my concerns. These talks had begun about one week ago, when the parents had dropped the news that they were splitting up. Yeah, my perfectly matching parents- who fitted together like fish and chips were now, apparently, the most non-matching parents ever- like the last piece of a puzzle that wouldn’t fit in the gap. God, my parents were perfect together so why was love letting them down?