01

Chapter One
ø

Chapter Oneø

ø

PETER PARKER was swinging around Queens without a care in the world. Well, that's a lie, he was on patrol which warranted a lot of caring. He also may or may not be directly disobeying Aunt May as he was usually supposed to go home and finish his homework before starting patrol.

But Aunt May wasn't here!

She left earlier in the day for a nurse workshop across the state. She'd be staying with a friend for the three days it went on. So, naturally, Peter was off the hook! Or so he thought.

Yes, Aunt May left right after Peter left for school. Yes, she had texted Peter assuring him that she was getting ready to take the train. And yes, she was completely late and therefore too late to catch the said train, meaning she'd have to catch the next which was hours away. So she went back home and waited out the hours lounging around the apartment waiting for Peter to get home.

That's when she remembered he might not be home for a while as he was supposed to be tutoring one of the girls in his algebra class. Something about a ticket out of detention if he did it for free.

Unfortunately, between May and Peter only one of them remembered he had a study session today.

Ø

Delaina Bennet was slightly confuzzled. She was about 96% sure that Parker asked her to meet him at the library for their tri-weekly study session. The other 4% could mean that she was actually supposed to meet him at his house which almost rarely happens.

It was just a random Wednesday afternoon and nothing special happened during the school day. She got to school on time and waited at her locker for the friends she didn't have until the bell rang. She tried her best to focus in Algebra class (which hadn't worked), and barely stayed awake for her other classes. When lunch came she sat silently across from Midtown's very own Michelle Jones as she did everyday. They never spoke but they had a mutual understanding for silence, plus Delaina thoroughly enjoyed it when Michelle called Ned and Parker out on their nerdy bullshit.

After lunch she was a lot more attentive in her classes, especially AP biology which was her favorite subject. When the end of the day came she went to the library early and waited for Parker to arrive...but he didn't. He wasn't answering any of her texts or calls and eventually her phone died. After being a half an hour late she decided to at least check his apartment and be at least a little responsible for her education.

Which brings us to now. It was a ten minute walk from the library to Parker's place and it took five minutes to get up the stairs since she forgot there was a fricken elevator. But finally, she was in front of their apartment door. As she raised a hand to knock, Delaina jumped as the door was pulled open.

"Oh!" Exclaimed the woman she knew as May Parker, "Hi sweetie, you're Delilah aren't you? Where's Peter?" She questioned and Delaina smiled a bit forcefully.

She'd only met May once before and she knew her name wasn't very common so that wasn't really the issue. The issue was that if May was asking about Peter then he wasn't home, and if he wasn't home then she just wasted about forty-five minutes of her existence.

May stepped aside to let the young woman in and pushed her suitcase against the wall. The two women took seats on the bumpy couch.

"It's Delaina, actually," she corrected, "And he's around the corner grabbing some snacks, I said I'd meet him here." She lied and May's eyebrows furrowed a bit.

"Oh, well should I wait with you?" Delaina pretended to think for a moment before shaking her head.

"No, you look like you're in a hurry and Peter will be here any minute." May let out a sigh of relief.

"Okay, well I need to go and catch my train but tell Peter to call if he needs anything." She said and Delaina nodded with a reassuring smile.

"Will do," And with that May rushed out of the apartment with her suitcase rolling behind her. Delaina sighed in relief.

"Where the hell are you Parker?" She asked no one.

Delaina took off her backpack and set up her math stuff on the coffee table figuring she might as well attempt to conquer a problem or two while she's here, it's not like she has anything better to do. Before she got started, however, she borrowed some of the Parker's electricity to charge her phone.

At the coffee table she started with the multiple choice problem on the homework. The answer choices were A. 7, B. 3, C. 9, and D. 5. Usually a multiple choice problem would narrow her answers down, but considering she got 79.13425 as her answer she felt pretty bummed out. Bummed out enough to break the pointy part of her wooden pencil.

After sighing loudly and for way too long, Delaina stood from her spot on the couch and headed toward Parker's room. The last time her wooden pencils had failed her Parker had gotten another one for her off his desk in his room. Since there were only pens on top of his desk, she reached for his drawer and pulled. Just as she predicted there were a couple more (barely) sharpened pencils along with some other junk she didn't think twice about...well until she saw it of course.

"It" being a dead spider in an enclosed petri dish. Now, Delaina didn't particularly like spiders. In fact she was pretty convinced that if they weren't bugs then they were animals. Small tiny evil animals that were definitely out to kill her...but this dead looking spider was, she daresay...pretty. So naturally she opened the dish for a second just to get a closer look.

A second was all it took for the spider to go "zombie mode" and bite her.

__
WORDS: 1033

- Delaina (deh•lay•nah)