f i v e

"Hey Chester

"Hey Chester."

"I get out of work today at five if you still wanna go see Nightmare." The hopeful and laid-back voice of Keith came through the landline in Frankie's room. Biting her lip as she pressed the hard plastic against her ear, Frankie felt bad. Her and Keith hadn't hung out outside of school in a while and although he blew her off for work yesterday, she was really hoping to see him today.

"Sorry Keith, Claudia needs me to babysit today."She said lamely. Knowing that he could tell when she was lying, she waited for his incredulous voice to fire back at her.

"Didn't she have you babysit yesterday?" He asked confusedly.

"Yeah, but she still hasn't found Mews and she doesn't want Dustin running off by himself while she's not home, especially since no one has seen Chief Hopper since yesterday morning." Sensing the lie within her truth, Chester scoffed.

"C'mon, Fran, we both know that there's something more than a missing cat." Groaning at being caught up, she slammed her hand against her forehead. Making a face and squeezing her eyes closed, she debated on if she should tell him what she was going to do. She knew she'd tell Keith eventually but she could do without the teasing for today.

"I'm doing something with Dustin today..." Clearing her throat, she continued, "And Steve." Hearing a surprised choke, she couldn't help but burst out in laughter at her friends expense.

"You and Steve? Wow Fran, I should ditch you more often." Scoffing in displeasure, she rolled her eyes at his remark.

"And my twelve year old neighbor you prick!" She gasped out, red in the face. She wasn't mad at him, more at herself for secretly thinking the same thing.

"Oh come off it Fran! You and I both know we were thinking the exact same thing." She could tell he was smirking and she frowned. Keith knew what she was thinking miles away over a freaking telephone. The boy knew her and he knew her good.

"I know Chester, which is a huge problem!" She whispered yelled into the phone, afraid that the two boys next door could hear her. She was being a little too cautious, but after last night she had every right to be.

"It's not that big of a deal, just keep it in your pants Walsh, I can feel the sexual chemistry from a mile away."

"Chester!" She screamed into the phone. Letting out a huge breath, she rolled her eyes at what seemed like the millionth time this conversation.

"I'm hanging up the phone now." She said, over his childish behavior but her heart warming at the laugh he let out.

"Yeah yeah have fun with lover boy, I'll see you Monday Fran." He said before hanging up on her. Keeping the phone up to her ear, she sighed realizing the real world was coming back to her. She'd be going on a suicide mission with Steve Harrington and Dustin Henderson in less than twenty minutes. Slamming the plastic back onto the base, she slumped back onto her bed. Rubbing her face for a few seconds, she mentally prepared herself for the day to come.