Reggie turned back to Sierra. “You know I didn’t tell you about this to hurt you, right?”

“I know,” Sierra said and she meant it.

“Oh my God, Sierra, open your eyes.”

“I see where you’re coming from, Tia, but at the end of the day, Reggie’s right. This isn’t his fault. Tristan was the one meeting with his ex after school. Tristan was the one who kept it from me.”

“I can’t believe you’re siding with Reggie,” Tia accused.

“You’re supposed to be her friend and you’re trying to help her stay with a dude who doesn’t respect her enough to tell her the truth,” Reggie said. “Sierra, you deserve better. You don’t have to put up with this when so many guys would jump at the chance to date you.”

“You mean guys like you?” Tia commented.

Reggie didn’t say anything but the irritation was obvious.

“Babe, come one. Chill out,” Tony coaxed.

“I’m just speaking the truth,” Tia defended.

“Yeah, we get it, but this isn’t about you.” Tony replied.

Sierra appreciated having Tony there to calm Tia down. She appreciated that Tia had her back on this but she believed that Reggie did, too. It seemed like everyone around her couldn’t get along and she was so tired of the fighting.

She wanted to turn around to see Tristan, so she did. The world seemed to move in slow motion as he walked toward her. He looked really good, as usual, but there was something dejected about him. Their gazes met and he gave her a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. She got to her feet and met him halfway. Tia was going to be mad at her for straying from the plan, but it was just for today. She missed him so much and not talking to him was getting old fast.

“Hey,” he said when she reached him.

“Hi.”

“Can we talk outside?” he asked.

Sierra nodded and followed Tristan into the hallway. Tristan led her to a deserted spot by the stairs. He leaned against the railing. Sierra stood next to him with her back against a nearby wall.

“How are you?” he asked.

“Fine,” she answered. Tristan hit her with searching eyes.

“That’s good. I wanted to make sure since you haven’t been taking my calls.”

“I didn’t feel like talking,” she lied.

They became silent. Where it used to be comfortable, it was now awkward and painful. She thought he was going to apologize or do something special to show he was sorry. She was disappointed to realize he actually had nothing to say.

“Did you want something?” she asked.

“Do I need a reason to talk to you?”

“Yeah, Tristan, you do.”

The look of hurt and confusion on his face filled her with guilt and that wasn’t fair. She was the one who should be hurt and he should be feeling guilty. This was exactly why she didn’t want to play games. It confused things.

“You’re still mad,” he said.

“I’m not angry with you anymore. I’m sad and I feel left out. Before we started going out we used to talk about everything. You said you told me things you never told anyone. I miss that.”

“We still have that. I made mistake, Sierra. A stupid mistake. You know you don’t have anything to worry about with Jessica, or any other girl.”