Social Menace {20}

Start from the beginning

                "Sure I can," he said, sipping on the coffee.

                "No one will blame you for having a hard time," I said, putting a hand on his back.

                He leaned into my touch, just the slightest. "I'm not having a hard time. I'm just trying to balance my extreme school workload along with the workload from the club I run, all while trying to plot revenge against the man who abandoned my pregnant mother."

                "Does she know he's involved?" I asked.

                "Of course she does. She's not stupid. My parents see him in the news, they know when he's snooping around Braxton, and my mom's ready to go to war if he gives me any trouble in or out of school," Tyson said.

                "Something tells me he'll stay far away from you," I said.

                "Of course he will. He doesn't want me anywhere near him or his precious family. He doesn't want me to let it slip to his kids that they have an older brother. He doesn't want his wife to know that he was fucking another woman while they were engaged. He doesn't want the world to know he isn't some holy, family-oriented, honest man. I'm the bastard that could wreck his career and his family. He'll take me down from a safe distance," Tyson said.

                "We won't let him take you down." I pressed my hand against his back. "I have a plan. It's nothing grand, and maybe it won't make an impact. But it's something, just to start some whispers."

                "Oh?" He raised an eyebrow.

                "It's a very basic plan. But why not have the twins' dad and officer Corr point out that as soon as the Social Action Club started advertising their community project for the police, Mallory suddenly decide to host a project for them too?" I said. "We can start slowly chipping away his image. Put some doubts in people's minds about how he just wants the spotlight. It'll make it easier to plot a bigger move against him."

                Tyson nodded. "Easy enough. I'll text them about it later."

                I pulled my hand away from his back and rubbed the back of my neck. "That's how it started. With Dylan, I mean. They started small, chipping away his confidence nice and slow so they could hit him harder the longer it went on."

                "You're not getting back at the right bullies, but you're doing something about the overall problem now," Tyson said. He shut his notebook and stretched a little. "Did you come here just to give me coffee and encouraging speeches?"

                "Your mom told me I'm staying for dinner," I said.

                "Of course she did, because that woman can never just ask like a normal human," Tyson said.

                "Are we calling Mallory out when we do the Alex job?" I asked.

                Tyson shrugged. "I haven't decided yet. I need a big way to taunt him. Maybe leave a note that his kids are next and make him squirm."

                "But you wouldn't ever go after them," I said.

                He was silent for a moment. "No. They can't help who their father is. As far as I can tell, they're not bad kids."

                "How old are they?" I asked.

                "Simon is a sophomore. Cary is only a freshman," Tyson said. He got up and kicked his uniform off to the side of his room. "I'm going to sit at my desk while I work so I don't fall asleep. The bed's yours."