Social Menace {3}

I laid in bed, my laptop in front of me. I was scrolling through old articles about the things the Social Action Club had done.

                It had been formed by Tyson, the club members being limited to only the planning committee so it didn't get too big or overwhelming. The school approved the decision only because any student was welcome to volunteer for any of their projects.

                They'd done a lot since they were formed. They did things around the town, around the country, and around the world. The school had awarded the club during an end of the year ceremony just last year. They'd been in the local newspaper plenty of times for their work.

                I could see how they'd get overwhelmed as I read about some of the bigger projects they tackled. A bake sale was nothing compared to some of the other things they'd organized.

                Maybe I was just overthinking it. They'd been a five member club since they had formed, so having a new kid tossed in their final year at the school was probably just surprising to them. They'd adjust with time if I did my part and tried to get along with everyone.

                I shut my laptop and set it on the floor next to my bed. I folded my hands behind my head, staring up at the ceiling.

                I'd just have to show them how helpful I could be.

                                                                                                ***

                At the end of the school day, I made my way down to the classroom and inside. Talon, Nyssa, and Farren were already in the room, arguing over something.

                "-need to get addressed sooner rather than later. Unless you want to lose credibility," Farren was saying.

                "We can't be too risky, Farren," Nyssa said.

                "Come on, we always deliver. We won't lose credibility if we slow down just a bit," Talon said dismissively.

                "Earning credibility when operating on secrecy is a very difficult thing," Farren said. "Maybe you two are too laid back to see reason, but I doubt Tyson will be."

                "Enough," Nyssa said. "Our new member is here. No need to argue in front of him."

                "Uh...sorry. Just keep arguing like I'm not even here," I said, taking a seat.

                Connor entered the room, his gaze fixed on his phone as he typed on it. Talon grinned and slipped closer to Connor, striking at his bag.

                Connor sprang away, glaring at Talon. "Don't do that, asshole!"

                "Why? Hiding something in your bag?" Talon asked innocently.

                "I'll dig up every picture from your emo phase and send it to every person in this damn town and the president himself," Connor said, taking a seat and setting his bag protectively at his feet.

                "I didn't have an emo phase," Talon said.

                "Yes you did," Nyssa said. "You listened to all those awful bands and wore black all the time."

                "Black is a very slimming color," Talon said defensively. "I may have listened to a lot of awful bands, but at least I was never a fan of Attila."