Chapter 29 - Distraction

Start from the beginning

 "I saw it!" Scott said, dripping as he climbed out of the tub. "I know where it is,"

 "It's this big stump, this huge tree," said Stiles, hefting one leg over and out at a time. His hair was soaked at matted against his forehead and I couldn't help but take notice of how well his t-shirt clung to his torso when wet. "Well it's not huge anymore it's cut down but it's still big though, very big,"

 "It was the night we were looking for the body," said Scott.

 "Yeah, the same night you were bit by Peter," added Stiles.

 "I was there too, in the car with my mother. We almost hit someone," said Allison. She was leaning over the tub while her short hair clung in random places to her face.

 Scott's eyes widened at her statement. "That was me. You almost hit me," he said. Allison gaped at him. Scott walked over towards Deaton. "We can find it,"

 I side glanced at Lydia, who was standing with her arms tightly folded across her chest. I could feel Deaton and Isaac tense next to me as well. We have to tell them, I just wish it wouldn't be such a big blow.

 "What?" Allison asked, noting all of our expressions. I felt Stiles' eyes land on me and my face went hot.

 "You guys were out a long time," said Isaac.

 "How long's a long time?" Stiles asked, his gaze still locked on mine. 

 "Sixteen hours," said Deaton. I was thankful he answered for all of us.

 Scott, Stiles, and Allison's faces all dropped and filled with mixed emotions of shock and disappointment. "We've been in the water for sixteen hours?" Scott exclaimed.

 "And the full moon rises in less than four," said Deaton.

~

 "No, dude, you are not going back with them," Stiles said to Scott. 

 I moved to stand by Stiles' side and wrapped a towel around his shoulders. His clothes were still damp and his hair was a ruffled mess from drying without having been fixed. I stood close enough to him that our arms touched. After nearly losing him, I just had to feel him as if to make sure he was really still there.

 "I made a deal with Deucalion," said Scott, sitting against his tub.

 "Does anyone else think that sounds a lot like a deal with the devil?" Stiles said. I shifted my eyes to the ground when his circling gaze came to me.

 "Why does it matter anyway?" Isaac asked.

 "Because," said Scott. "I still don't think that we can beat Jennifer without their help,"

 As much as I hate to admit it, there's this part of me that knows Scott is right. We do need the Alpha's help if we have any chance of getting rid of Jennifer for good. I could have done the deed myself, but I'd rather not have to give myself up to those witches.

 "He trusts you more than anyone," said Allison to Deaton. "Tell him he's wrong,"

 "I'm not so sure he is," said Deaton. "Circumstances like this sometimes require that you align yourself with people you normally consider enemies,"

 I heard a small groan escape Stiles from beside me.

 "So we're gonna trust him?" Isaac said from his spot next to Allison. "The guy who calls himself 'Death Destroyer of Worlds', we're gonna trust that guy?"

 "I wouldn't trust him, no," said Deaton. "But you could use it to your advantage. Deacalion may be the enemy, but he could also be the bait."

 Everyone glanced around at each other. I could see Scott's head spinning. That's why I had to get my two cents in, just so it was clear. "Look, they may fight with us, but they don't fight for us,"