XIII : Two Missions

Start from the beginning

We were almost to the door when Master Windu then cleared his throat causing us all to stop and turn our attention back to the council. Master Windu then turned to Master Yoda and raised a stern eyebrow. "We don't need two Jedi protecting the Senator. However, Master Obi-Wan could use some extra help on tracking down this bounty hunter," Master Windu then explained as I furrowed my eyebrows. I really didn't understand if he was trying to stop me from protecting Padmé because of the reason he just said or if it was really just because he didn't want Anakin and I working together since he had been working so hard for the past ten years to keep us apart.

Unfortunately, the council nodded their agreement which caused my Master to then hum in thought before making his decision. "Go with Master Kenobi, you must Serenity," he then told me causing me to frown. Go with another Master? That was practically unheard of.

"Are you sure she can't stay with me?" Anakin then tried to reason as I noticed the slight disappointment on his face from the news that we would no longer be working together. "After all, she is very familiar with the Senator and the two happen to be very comfortable with one another so it would most likely benefit me to have Serenity along."

However, Master Windu just raised his eyebrow again before he started to get sassy. "Or you can go with your Master and Serenity can stay with the Senator?" He then offered to which Anakin quickly disagreed to the option wanting to stay with Padmé, which wasn't all that surprising seeing how excited he was to being around her in the first place.

I started to open my mouth to say something but thought better of it and just settled for bowing respectfully one last time as we were then dismissed. While we were on our way to Chancellor Palpatine's office, Anakin and I walked side-by-side as if we were glued to each other's sides. It reminded me back to that time all those years ago in the main hanger on Naboo before the last time I saw him. Anakin was excited to see the Chancellor, he seemed to really like the man and while I had managed to form a good friendship with the Chancellor I mainly felt indifferent about him. While he never really bothered me, he never really interested me either. Either way though, he had managed to take a liking to my brother and I and was always hoping I would stop by and visit him during my free time although I rarely ever did.

"Serenity! Anakin! What a pleasure to see both of you. And together!" the Chancellor graciously welcomed us upon our arrival while we exchanged some pleasantries before explaining the situation and requesting he would try to convince Padmé to leave.

"I will talk to her," Palpatine easily agreed in a formal yet powerful manner. "Senator Amidala will not refuse an executive order. I know her well enough to assure you of that."

"Thank you, Your Excellency," Anakin and I smiled and said at the same time not even skipping a beat. While the in sync didn't phase us in the least, the Chancellor seemed to raised a somewhat amused eyebrow at the two of us.

"The similarities between the two of you are remarkable," Palpatine observed with a remarkable and inviting smile. "I see they've finally given the two of you an assignment together. After ten years of not even being allowed to see one another."

Our smiles then quickly faded as I let out a sigh and Anakin slightly hung his head. "Actually, they're keeping us separated," I said softly in a sad tone while Palpatine sent me a sympathetic look. "I guess they're not ready for the two of us to work together just yet. Still freaked out about what would happen when the two of us are together," I then said with a slight eye roll before then immediately blushing and feeling ashamed of my accusations.

For a moment, I was actually disgusted by my own words. I felt utterly ashamed, because, at that moment, I actually believed what I was saying. I shouldn't be frustrated with the council. They always had a reason behind their decisions and they had always kept Anakin and me apart because of our attachment. It only made sense that they would want to continue to keep us apart even though Anakin and I seemed to prove that we could work fine together last night. Either way, I was going to respect the council's judgment, no matter how much I might have disagreed with it.