Chapter 2

"So, what way your first week like?"

Nora, your best friend, was sitting across from you in a small bar, interrogating you. She played with her glass of red wine, as she listened to you happily ranting about your new workplace and all the science and experiments you had already worked on. Nora was not bothered by your overly enthusiastic and never-ending speech, she even liked listening to you talking about your favourite topics.

You described your small 'office' to her as if it were at treasure chamber, you told her about all the folders you had already gone through, the new knowledge you had already gained and all the achievements you had reached so far.  And, of course, you told her about Genesis.

You had met him twice in the hallway since your first day. The first meeting had taken place on Tuesday, along with his friend Angeal Hewley, about whom Dr Hollander told you that he would be another research subject of yours. Even though Genesis had at least greeted you, it had however been spoken in such a brusque way, it had made you feel like you were not worth his time. Angeal had been a lot friendlier. He was a well-built, tall, dark haired man with a genuine smile, who actually seemed to care about your existence. Just like Genesis, he had worn a SOLDIER uniform, indicating he had a similar rank to the former. His different demeanor struck you as very likeable.

The second time you saw him Genesis was alone and didn't even deign to spare you a second glance. It upset you quite a bit, you hadn't done anything to him, and you were to work with him, if what Dr. Hollander had said was correct. In your opinion, working towards at least a little bit of friendly atmosphere was not too much to ask! He apparently didn't notice your anger-filled glare at his back, as he passed you without comment.

Later that week you had also learned that Genesis and Angeal were SOLDIERS first class, which in turn made them both quite famous and well-liked by the public. They even had fan clubs. With this new information, it became clear to you why Genesis was so arrogant.

"What, you didn't know?" Nora gasped as you told her the news. "They're really famous, and Sephiroth too!"

As she told you what she - and apparently everyone - knew about those three, you noticed how deep in your scientific bubble you had been.

"And those eyes..." Nora continued, swooning. Apparently, she had also fallen victim to the charms of them.

"They're like that because of the mako infusion," you informed her, glad that you could take part in the conversation again. "All SOLDIERS have to get infused with mako energy, to make them stronger."

"Well, I wouldn't even care if they wore contact lenses. Still gorgeous! You should introduce me to them!" Nora winked at you and you laughed.

"Hm... Angeal seemed pretty nice, so go get him, girl!" you told her, winking back and pushing your elbow into her side.

"And which one will you take? Sephiroth or Genesis?"

"Definitely not Genesis!" You shook your head at the stupidity of this scenario.

The two of you continued talking and having fun until the barkeeper decided to throw you out and close. Like most nights, you were some of the last people left, having completely forgotten time over your conversations.

"Thanks for that. I really needed that talk!" You hugged Nora goodbye.

"I'm always there for you. Have fun with Genesis next week!"

"Pfff..."

Nora knew you too well, she could already tell that you were fascinated with him. But that was what a best friend was for, knowing how you felt before even you did, and encouraging you to embrace your feelings. You waved to her and went on your way home.