014. Coming Clean

*Steve's POV*

*Steve's POV*

Emma was a surprise. A big one. We didn't usually get new people in Hawkins, but suddenly it seemed like everyone was moving to town, some bad, some great. Emma was one of the great ones. Like I said, she was a surprise. When I met her for the first time at Tina's party and I found out she was friends with Billy, I figured she'd be just like him. However, I was pleasantly surprised when she wasn't. She was the opposite. Emma was sweet, and caring, and compassionate, she was good with kids, and she was smart. It truly surprised me when she chose to befriend me despite mine and Billy's issues.

If you couldn't already tell, I was crushing on her. Hardcore. I didn't want to say anything about it though. That was mainly out of fear of ruining the friendship we had, but also out of concern for her and Billy's relationship. I had no idea what was going on with the two of them. I knew it was kind of a sore subject for her since it had all happened very recently, so I hadn't brought it up, but it was a concern of mine that maybe they had something more than just a friendship going on. But I'd also decided that I couldn't let this pass me by. I'd done the same with Nancy and she slipped right between my fingers. Emma was special and I couldn't let the same thing happen.

"So you're just going to to knock on her door and give her the flowers?" Dustin asked, "And then what? You're gonna be like 'Hey Emma I'm in love with you, let's date'?"

"I mean, maybe not that aggressively, but that's the plan," I answered.

"No, Steve!" he exclaimed, "No!"

"No?" I asked as I looked from him down to the flowers.

"No, you have to do something more special," he told me, "Give her the flowers, but also take her to dinner. Geez, Steve. No wonder the girl has been ignoring you."

"God, what am I doing," I asked myself, "I'm taking relationship advice from a child."

"Hurtful," Dustin said, dragging the word out, "It's not my fault that the student has become the master." I let out a laugh, which made him laugh too. "In all honesty, she probably feels the same way about you," he began, "You're Steve Harrington, all the girls are crazy about you."

"You know what? You're right. I'm gonna go to her house, give her these flowers and then take her out for pizza," I said confidently.

"Atta boy," Dustin cheered, "Go get her!"

I hopped in my car and started the short drive to Emma's house. I was very confident when I left the arcade, but that started dwindling down the closer I got. Emma had been avoiding me and I knew it, I was starting to think that maybe she'd found out that I liked her somehow and was trying to distance herself from me to spare my feelings. I was very close to just turning around and going home and letting her come to me when she was ready to be my friend again, but talked myself out of that. I needed to tell her how I felt and just get it over with in case she didn't feel the same thing and I should start moving on.